need inspiration for pkging rtcp bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
well, i've changed my soap recipe, changed from c/p to rtcp-whipped soap, then yesterday i cut and changed the color of my hair!!!

now i want a new look to my packaging, but need some inspiration. i see BEAUTIFUL soaps in the photo gallery, but no packaging. i've googled soap packaging ideas, but not much there.

my bars are 2"x3" and <1.5".

any ideas? thanks!
anxious in alabama

packaging

Thats a big one isn't it.
I am experimenting all the time with packaging.
As I am new to this I am experimenting untill I find what will work the best.
Yesterday I went to an intriguing Shopping area called Montville expressly to make sure I was keeping somewhat in touch with acceptable forms.
To be totally uniquie is good but you usually need to stay within certain 'norms' for people to feel an instant raport with your product.
At this lovely little town ship there where many boutiques carrying soaps.
I bought just one.A pretty exie one too.$14.95 for 150 g
It's called Marshmallow ,by Mor ,I just visited their web site http://www.morcosmetics.com/
I chose that soap because it was boxed individually in a very classy way.I am turning it over and arround checking out how this little box is made.
So for special soaps that idea is great.
For herbs and such I feel a very rustic wrapper,maybe hand made paper with a printed lable and ingredient peice glued on.
Yesterday one shop owner suggested to me that I look up mulberry papers on the internet ,here,s what I have found so far. http://handmade-paper.us/page/CPO/CTGY/mul
If you want to have a look at a page of my blog you will see some of my experiments.I absolutely love the blue moon lable.It does tend to slip down the soap though so I will be experimenting further.
http://stardustsoaps.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html

I imagine at a market you might want a tiered cake display for some.and others maybe in old drawers unlabled but with stamped bags at the ready.
All in all go to where soaps are sold.Go on a soap hunting trail and you will start to form some ideas.
Note that the people who created the MOR Soap I bought, come from creative back grounds as so many do http://www.morcosmetics.com/our_story.php
Heres another mulberry paper site I just found http://www.enthaily.com/welcome/page10.php
I hope thats a little help.
Packaging is a huge subject. Good luck with it, I will love hearing what you do.

Inspiration from chocolate

I have already said a mouthfull but I really wanted to mention that another way I am getting inspiration just now is from a library book called "The Chocolate Companion"
Chocolate being a specialty just like soap.
It shows and describes the packaging of chocolates .Also the history of these hand made 'staple foods' in very much an echo of soap making.
:lol:

For me I have found the best packaging has been the cigar bands and then I use a glue dot to secure, I finish it off with a thin piece of raffia tied in a bow to keep it fom slipping out of the band. CP loves to breath from what I have exerienced. I looked at the boxes but I think packaging so people can see it and smell it works best for me. [/img]

Simple and beautiful

That is a lovely and elegant way.
Simple and beautiful.
The box that I mentioned was unsealed.Made for lifting the lid ,looking and smelling.But of course only suitable in that boutiquie situation
I think thats what I love about soap making, apart from the soap of course,the way that it is so unlimited.
I would love to see a picture of your cigar banded soap also.
:lol:

packaging

great research! thank you. i live very far out in the country-away from any metropolitan influences, so it is about 1.5 hr trip to the "city". i used to live near seattle, wa, so it was easy to spend an afternoon wandering the boutique, gift and up-scale health stores for inspiration...i miss that-but not the traffic and kaos!

i googled hand made paper and found some pretty reasonable and unusual paper that can be lazer printed: www.crafterspaperandsupply.com

but then i googled papermaking kits- and books., which was very inspirational. with all the wild flowers and interesting grasses around here i'm thinking about making the paper cigar-bands myself. you can use recycled paper-and one of the kits makes 8x11" paper.

it might make for an interesting project after xmas-when things calm down a bit...maybe for my spring line.

Out in Whoop Whoop

Like wise,I am tucked away from Cities. That was one big trip for me.About 2.5 hours each way.
Living issolated does have it's advantages as you can take the time to tune into what is most usefull to your own projects.
Thankyou for mentioning where you are from.It gives a better picture of the whole thing.
Thankyou for the links on the papers and kits.I have done home made papers and it isn't too hard.Just one more loft of stuff to find a nook and cranny to store it in.
Mary :lol:

it's a challenge. I want my soap to show, but be protected. I want the packaging to hold up to life, but be biodegradable.

I was using Dan's Bands but don't want plastic. Boxes don't do my soap justice. Naked just isn't an option, and cigar bands don't offer enough protection.

It's a quandary.

packaging

at www.goplanetearth.com they carry strips of recycled corrugated paper in 3" a nd 4" widths. i've seen them done up nicely, and protects them from damage, but leaves the ends open for visual effects. perhaps with a creative stick-on label?

i'm kinda stuck on the handmade paer thing right now. i have wild honeysuckle growing nearby. the blossoms would be pretty. it seems you could seal the paper with a spray-on sealer to protect from moisture/oils. need to research to see if the packaging would be more work to produce than the soap itself! LOL!

packgng

yes, the corrugated wrap is exactly what i'm thinking of. btw, kallista, your soap pics in the gallery are wonderful! creative and full of fun and whimsy! great job!!!

georgiastray said:
Wow, what great ideas for packaging /wrapping! Thanks so much for the link!

UR Welcome. :D I really like the natural look with the brown paper, beads, etc.

Back