Need help with math on a recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have had my first real senior moment and need help on how to fix my recipe. I just realized I measured out my olive oil as my coconut. I can make a masterbatch as I do have my 5 gallon bucket but can't wrap my head around the math to correct it. So, I need help

My recipe should be:

OO 1429 grams 45%
Coconut 540 grams 17%
Palm 635 grams 20%
Shea 222 grams 7%
Castor 191 grams 6%
PKO 159 grams 5%

I did 1429 grams of Coconut and didn't catch it until I went to add my Olive Oil and then the Oh S**t moment happened. :Kitten Love: Now I need help figuring out how to fix this so that I can pour off my usual amount with my usual lye/liquid. My batch is 3174 grams total with 1111 grams liquid and 430 grams of lye. Any help would be appreciated on how to just make one big master batch. I've been working on this for a couple hours and just can't wrap my head around it today. I haven't added the Olive or Castor as yet as I was melting the others first.

Thank you to the math guru's who can help.

Your new total oil weight should 8,405 grams.

Take the amount of coconut oil, 1429g, and divide it by 0.17 (representing the percentage of the total recipe).

Make your batch size 8405, and use the same percentages, and it should give you the 1429g of coconut you already added.

HTH

eta: I typed multiply, I meant divide!

Last edited:
I now have a 5 gallon bucket of soapy goodness. I had done 2 batches at the same time and they were both wrong....went from 4- 5lb batches to a 5 gallon bucket.

Back