Need for Emulsifiers and Preservatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - for an anhydrous product like a water-free scrub there are not preservative options without parabens. (yes you need a preservative even if it's water free because of the likelihood/possibility of contamination with water from wet hands or the shower)

So to make a safe anhydrous scrub you need to either use salt instead of sugar, or suck it up and use the parabens.

Hazel said:
paillo said:
i don't like parabens and avoid them -- known or suspected estrogen disruptors scare me -- but i totally would not make products containing water without some kind of preservative.

What's not mentioned is that parabens only create a minimal estrogenic effect. There are other ingredients (like soy) plus our own hormones that produce more estrogen or cause estrogenic effects.

I really don't understand where the soy thing has come from; numerous studies have shown breast cancer rates in China & Japan are incredibly lower than the USA and The Netherlands (we have about the highest risk globally); what do you think Asian woman eat on a daily base?

dagmar88 said:
Hazel said:
paillo said:
i don't like parabens and avoid them -- known or suspected estrogen disruptors scare me -- but i totally would not make products containing water without some kind of preservative.

What's not mentioned is that parabens only create a minimal estrogenic effect. There are other ingredients (like soy) plus our own hormones that produce more estrogen or cause estrogenic effects.

I really don't understand where the soy thing has come from; numerous studies have shown breast cancer rates in China & Japan are incredibly lower than the USA and The Netherlands (we have about the highest risk globally); what do you think Asian woman eat on a daily base?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying that soy also creates an estrogenic effect in the body.

Soy - let's not open that can of worms! :roll: Please...one controversy at a time or my head's going to explode. :lol:

Actually, who knows if the lower rate of breast cancer is from them eating soy. Couldn't it be a combination of environmental factors, exercise and nutrition? I don't know. I'd have to research it and that's not going to happen any time soon. My doctor did tell me to limit my soy intake because of the possibility of estrogen driven cancer. (I think that was the term he used.) I was nodding my head and thinking "Yeah, you're worried about my soy intake while I'm still overweight, don't exercise enough and smoke. Like I'm worried about eating too much soy."

carebear said:
FYI - for an anhydrous product like a water-free scrub there are not preservative options without parabens. (yes you need a preservative even if it's water free because of the likelihood/possibility of contamination with water from wet hands or the shower)

So to make a safe anhydrous scrub you need to either use salt instead of sugar, or suck it up and use the parabens.

yes, after running a bunch of searches i see there are no paraben-free preservatives i could find listed that are suitable for anhydrous products. so what do you all typically use for preservatives, for, say, scrubs? i'd rather use parabens than make a for-sure unsafe product.

talk about overkill, though. my well-meaning mother sent me a jar of the older Stryvectin (they make another version now without parabens, i wonder how). it has not one, but EIGHT parabens! i use my home-made Vitamin C serum with great results and have no interest in switching to an expensive product with a number of ickies in it, parabens aside.

I use Liquipar but once it's gone, I might switch to a different one. I'd have to look around and compare preservatives before I make a decision. I might find the Liquipar is the best for anhydrous products.

Hazel said:
dagmar88 said:
Hazel said:
paillo said:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying that soy also creates an estrogenic effect in the body.

Soy - let's not open that can of worms! :roll: Please...one controversy at a time or my head's going to explode. :lol:

Actually, who knows if the lower rate of breast cancer is from them eating soy. Couldn't it be a combination of environmental factors, exercise and nutrition? I don't know. I'd have to research it and that's not going to happen any time soon. My doctor did tell me to limit my soy intake because of the possibility of estrogen driven cancer. (I think that was the term he used.) I was nodding my head and thinking "Yeah, you're worried about my soy intake while I'm still overweight, don't exercise enough and smoke. Like I'm worried about eating too much soy."

hazel, i love your candor :) i'm gonna do a bunch of research myself. i work in environmental health sciences, but in the communications branch, not the science. the soy factor bumfuzzles me at this point, but i think it's an important consideration for us americans with otherwise bad diets and health habits, and other confounding factors like too much plastic in our environments. going away now to research more of what the science says... but it's GREAT to hear what individual responses are, keep them coming!!!!

Well thanks! But what else can I say? I know I have really bad habits and I know what I should be doing for better health. So for me to fuss about questionable additives would be hypocritical. Plus I've already had years and years (won't say how many :wink: ) of exposure to chemicals which people are alleging to be hazardous. I've finally learned to question what I read instead of accepting everything I read as factual. Who's written this article? Is this person an accredited expert? What's this person's purpose for writing this info? Is it to educate the reader? Or is to sell something?

It's very easy to write something and post it on the Internet. I could write something based on heresay or misquotes, post it online and I'm positive some people would read it and believe it. They'd never bother to research further to see if the information is correct, if I was an expert or a motivated seller. (Smurfs are evil and hazardous to your health! If you watch them, your nose will turn blue so buy my cream because it's natural and then your nose will never turn blue!) :lol:

Admittedly, I do try to minimize some exposure to chemicals but mainly for the animals. They've all been know to chew on odd things plus two of them can open cupboard doors. Clever, crafty critters!

However, if there is a legitimite scientific study which does prove parabens are hazardous then I would stop using them. It's hard because there's so much information out there. Who are you going to trust?

Substitute for stearic acid

I have been using stearic acid in my lotion recipes, and they have been turning out great. I just was reading the actual specs on stearic acid and found out that it is an animal product. I was trying to keep my soaps and lotions, totally vegetarian. I am using emulsifying wax, do I really need the stearic acid also. Is there something that I can substitute for stearic acid?

Re: Substitute for stearic acid

foresthome said:
I have been using stearic acid in my lotion recipes, and they have been turning out great. I just was reading the actual specs on stearic acid and found out that it is an animal product. I was trying to keep my soaps and lotions, totally vegetarian. I am using emulsifying wax, do I really need the stearic acid also. Is there something that I can substitute for stearic acid?

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=119

this site's stearic is derived from palm, i believe that many companies are sourcing their stearic from palm but you should check with your vendor to be sure. Stearic acid is a thickener though and not a preservative.

hth

Erin

Please remember where you are putting the lotion. Even if it is just on your hands, you still put your hands on your mouth and eyes. I am a nurse and I have seen some really nasty infections, bacterial, fungal, etc. How long does it take bread to mold? Have you ever pulled a container from the back of the frige that had been overlooked. What was in it? Would you eat it, even if it looked ok? Lotion get absorbed into the skin and you do have a layer of flora to protect you but in your stomach you have vial stomach acid. So I say if you won't eat it, don't put it on your skin.

Latest posts

Back