need a new recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

These are the oils I have:
  • Coconut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • Sasame Oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • Avocado oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 95% Hydrogenated Soybean Oil / < 5% cottonseed oil (GV shortening)[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • macadamia nut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • honey[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • grapeseed oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • peanut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • castor oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • olive oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • lard[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • safflower oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • canola oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • tea[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • coffee[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • semi-sweet chocolate[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • sugar[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • sea salt[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • oatmeal[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • regular milk[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]

I've been soaping with many of these ingredients since I've began soaping (a few weeks). I've been experimenting with different percentages of oils and whatnot and am just curious what type of recipe the community can come up for me to try out with my own oils. I'll post a couple recipes I've tried out, I'm really cheap though so my primary oil is usually something cheap. =D

Cold process, 4-5 weeks old, havent used it yet.
  • 10% castor oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 15% avocodo oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 20% olive oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% sesame oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% coconut[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% safflower[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% sunflower oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 20% shea butter[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% peanut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 7% superfat[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
After accidentally using nearly all of my shea butter in the first batch, I've been trying desperately to conserve my oils!

Hot process, this is actually a rebatch. I forgot to grease up my PVC mold and ended up having to cut the pvc pipe and the soap got ruined in the process. I didn't feel like rebatching and thought it would be easy enough to just add water and make a liquid soap. Didn't work as I wanted and ended up seperating. I ended up spending 2 hours trying to cook out the excess water back out of it with the crock pot and an additional 45 minutes on the stove. This was hell. I originally was trying to make like 10 small 2 inch bars of soap and ended up with 3 ~3oz bars. It was so not worth it in the end.

Somehow though, the final soap ended up with some sort of scratchy plastic like substance throughout the bars. It feels kind of exfoliating, but I really don't know what it is or where it came from.
  • 20% lard[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% coconut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 30% olive oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 25% avocodo oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% sasame oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% castor oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 7% superfat[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]

Hot process, getting hard, but not quite there. i've been using it though. 3-4 weeks old
  • 45% lard[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% castor oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% avocodo oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 15% olive oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% sesame oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% coconut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% safflower oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 15% canola oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% superfat[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]

Hot process, very soft still, about 1-2 weeks old, still smells bad
  • 20% olive oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% canola oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% avocado oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 15% coconut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 25% shortening[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% macadamia nut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 10% castor oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% peanut oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 1oz/lb of grapeseed oil[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 1oz/lb of chocolate[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 1/4 cup of oatmeal[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • 5% superfat[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]
  • bud light for lye solution[/*:m:2z6gsr2n]

I haven't had a chance to use the soaps as much as I'd like to since some of the soaps are still quite soft. I'm probably going to start using salt in my soaps to create a harder bar, because I noticed the bars I do use don't last as long as I'd like. I don't particularly notice my skin feeling any softer than the body wash I used to use, though my skin is less itchy than it used to be which is very good. I don't think the soap has helped my acne any, but it isn't getting worse either.

My recipes probably look ammeature or whatever, but that's because I have no idea what I'm doing! lol I want to get the most out of my soaps though, which is why Im hoping I can come here and have the community evaluate the recipes, hopefully recommend a superior one, or alter an existing one to make it an incredible bar of soap.

I'm really not much of a fan of using animal fats, so I'd prefer to avoid using the lard. I only bought it because it's cheap and can be a nice filler in soaps I sell, but I personally wouldn't use it beyond trying it out. I want to push more towards a vegan-based soap. Using lard and tallow is also a good way to recycle cooking grease, so I can look forward to having tallow for that reason soon. I have some tallow in the fridge I'm collecting, but I dont want to waste my time cleaning it until I have enough to make it worth my time. I purchased the shortening as a substitute for animal fats. If you can suggest a better, cheap alternative, let me know. Just for the record, I havent sold, and I don't think I plan to sell soap anytime soon, so I have no reason to use lard at the moment.

I like simple. From your list: lard, olive, coconut, castor. 50/20/20/10 or abouts.

I have to agree with Amy. That's an awful lot of oils for each batch. Also, you said you like cheap, but many of those oils are more expensive. I also like a lard based soap. My favorite at the moment is:

Lard (40%)
Olive Oil (25%)
Coconut Oil (25%)
Castor (5%)
Shea (5%)

I will say I love the lather, but dislike the amount of ash I seem to get since incorporating the Shea butter. I made a recipe with Palm Kernel Oil in place of most of the coconut and it has horrible ash. I haven't quite found my happy place.

This sounds way too complicated. You can make very nice soap using any or all of the following, all of which are relatively cheap:

coconut
lard or palm
olive
New Crisco shortening (hydrogenated soy and palm)

Castor and shea are nice extras but you can make great soap without them.

My go-to recipe is OO, CO, PO and cocoa butter.

I agree with the simple is good logic--at least thats what I've concluded in the last several months. OO, CO and Palm Oil make a great soap. I love lard too. My 'fancy' oil has become castor and my once in a while addition is usually cocoa butter.

Latest posts

Back