Natures Rainbow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How on earth did you keep the colors from bleeding? I thought natural colors bleed.

I wasn't under that impression. I just mixed the colored oils in at light trace. The bit of mixing between the red and orange was because I poured the orange too hard. I have seen lots of soaps with swirls or layers that were done with different herb/plant colorants. Maybe there are some colorants that act differently I don't know. I am learning more about natural colorants all the time, its a process. The layers still look the same as when I first cut them.

I saw an old thread pop up that someone bumped yesterday I think. It had lots of good info on natural colorants. I will see if I can find it again.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/sorrel-root-ladys-bedstraw-pink-soap-24137/

I am sure I have seen more than this, but at least I found this one. I was trying to think of the soaps that I did the colors seperate and I have done a few. None of them bled out of the areas they were swirled in. But that may just be the kinds I was using. The fun thing is that you probably have 3 or 4 things in your spice cupboard that you could try out. And it really doesn't take all that much to get some great color infused into some oil. I like to warm the oil up just a bit to get it started off.

Lovely soap. What sort of mold was used?

Corrogated Plastic cut to fit into a loaf mold. Mine still needs work as the curved shape isn't exactly 'rainbow' smooth. I cut through half of the cells in the appropriate areas to get the corro plastic to bend. I also had to extend out the sides of the loaf mold or its just too tiny with the added plastic. Luckily the sides of my wooden loaf mold are removable so I added a piece of wood in just to accomodate the corro plastic, which can then be removed for regular use.

Well, this is the bar I have at my kitchen sink right now. I don't notice a huge difference. The alkanet turned more purple. And maybe the green is a little more olive green. What do you think? We love it!

2013-04-11_12-22-20_477.jpg

Wow, thats just fabulous. I think you said in an earlier post that when you tried again you would ease up on the first two pours so they didnt mix? I love that they did. I think it adds to it very nicely. Mind if i ask what oil you infused in? Looks like they all darkened a bit, but they all still work perfectly together. Put one one of those on the mantle. Well done!!

I usually infuse in Olive Oil. Its in almost, if not all my recipes. So that makes it convenient to infuse at any time and have it for future use in just about any recipe. Thank you for your kind comments!!!

Back to the drawing board for me then. I cant get a purple from alkanet, ever, and my indigo's are way too dark. You're welcome :)

That is awesome! I love it! And I especially love how vivid the natural colors are! This has inspired me to start using natural colors. I'm going to see about getting some madder root and alkanet powder now... :D

That is so adorable! I love the shape and the way the colors bend does have a "hippie" look. I try to use lots of natural colorants but haven't tried alkanet yet. I usually add the powders at trace because I'm confused about using infused oils. When I do multiple colors, I pour my oil/lye mix into different cups and add the color. If my colors are already in the oils, how do I add the lye mix to them and stir til trace?

Back