Natural soap Vs. Chemical soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalcare

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I want to ask if it is a fact, that the natural soap is better than the commercial chemical soap.

If yes, is there studies that we can read it about this issue.

Some people said that there is no difference, some said that chemical is better in clean purpose, some said that many natural or hand made soap may be bad and you can't assure what you will buy, so what is the truth in this issue.

Also is there a formal standard that should be taking into consideration when making soap for trading and not for personal use in our home.

Thanks

"...the natural soap is better than the commercial chemical soap....?"

It depends on the situation and on who you talk to, as it appears you are already aware.

Unlike a sodium soap, a synthetic detergent does not form insoluble calcium and magnesium salts, so it will rinse more cleanly off your skin or out of your clothes in hard water. You could argue that "syndets" clean better for that reason. But they can irritate dry or sensitive skin or trigger an allergic response in some people.

Some hand soap makers do not use quality ingredients, do not use ingredients that are suitable for soap, or do not test their products to be sure they are mild, effective, and long lasting. So, yes, some handmade soap is not as good as it could be.

As far as the ongoing "natural" versus "chemical" debate.... Soap and synthetic detergents are both chemicals not normally found in nature, so neither is particularly "natural". Better to say "handmade soap" versus "commercial soap or syndet".

Formal standards? Check the regulations in your home state or country. Check out the Home Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild.

Handmade or 'natural' soap using for example olive oil and sod. hydroxide and water contains only those ingredients. The finished product is soap. Synthetic ingredients produce a detergent cleansing bar, not soap.
One could posit that it is possible to make a form of lye from wood ashes which are allowed to 'brew' in water and then that water is used to make soap. Then the ingredients could be said to truly come from nature....

That is a loaded question. I think you will find people on both ends of the spectrum as well as right smack dab in the middle and people disregarding any and all well documented safety measures. If you truly want an answer to this I think you will need to research all of the ingredients in the products you are questioning including their sourcing, processing, and methods of creation and use. There are many good sources including the EPA, OSHA, national and international medical journals, ewg.org, MSDSs, and standards for including or prohibiting ingredients in other countries, etc.

Here is a quote from a customer regarding my "natural" homemade soaps - You think it is just soap until you run out and grab a bar of the stuff you used to use and realize how much better the homemade soap is! I agree completely, my soap has completely spoiled me, the chemical detergents make me itch!

Not all surfactants are created equal. There are several mild, eco friendly surfactants. I love my cp soaps,but I use surfactants in shampoo and other products.

Back