Natural Orange Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s weird...it went from dull orange to hot dog mustard.

I have also found that soaps with egg yolks added are more yellow-orange as well. But I am not sure if you are ready for egg soaps this early in your soaping caree

Earlene, I have re-searched the egg soap with the intention of making it out of curiosity, I read from the soap makers who made it that it gives pretty color, also the soap is fabulous, so smooth with luxurious feeling. I am a little concerned about the smell and the "film". Would you like to share how you make it please, and how much eggs you add to achieve the beautiful yellow- orange color? Thank you.

Thanks all for the suggestions and pics. I'm intrigued by the beta-carotene. Hope its economical. Will try to find a local source for liquid. Little worried about splattering myself by popping capsules.
If you are doing orange soap anyways...try orange wax. They have it at newdirectionsaromatics

If you are doing orange soap anyways...try orange wax. They have it at newdirectionsaromatics

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try. Do you have any suggestions for the amount to add? Also do you know saponification value?

Last edited:
We use annatto seed powder for most of our shades of orange (from yellow to rust - see my ID pic for a mid-range orange). If you don't mind specks, add the powder directly to your blend at trace. If you want it cleaner and a bit brighter, first steep it in your base oil, and then decant off the oil to use for your soap (leaving the powder sludge at the bottom of the steeping container). Granted, it takes a bit more powder than beta-carotene, but it's easy to use and easy to use accurately. One of the advantages to using annatto seed powder is that you can accurately measure each time, even with small amounts, and you don't run the risk of inconsistent coloring between batches.

I made a really nice orange soap using puree carrot and carrot seed oil.

I have also used annatto seed for my soap and I usually get a yellow to yellow-orange color from it.

If you want a more vibrant color, make sure the soap goes through gel phase completely. You can do CPOP or wrap your mold in a blanket and a heating pad to encourage gel.

I have used red palm oil with great success. I usually use about %40-50 of my palm oil component with red palm and use regular responsibly harvested palm oil for rest in addition to my other oils. Since most oil combinations will have a rather yellow color, the red palm turns the batch a wonderful orange color. It seems to last for a long time as I haven't seen any color fading at all.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try. Do you have any suggestions for the amount to add? Also, do you know saponification value?

When I did it I just kinda "winged it", as my soap was superfatted anyways. I wasn't too worried in this smaller batch I used the general guidelines for NON-TRIGLYCERIDE waxes like beeswax and lanolin etc which have fatty acids but aren't true triglycerides...which is "don't go above 1.5% of total oils". from the book
The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How

Susan Miller Cavitch

I made a walnut pumice orange wax soap

but as you asked, I found this section of a "Mr natural" sales sheet. just now with the saponification value of orange wax, here is the who snippet:

Product description

Orange Wax is 100% natural and is a by-product of the food industry. It is extracted from orange peels with the use of mechanical presses and is further processed to produce the wax. INCI: Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Wax. Appearance: Dark orange liquid to semi-solid wax with a strong orange oil scent. Uses: Orange Wax is a favorite additive with candle-makers because of its warm scent and colorant properties. Cosmetic formulators find natural Orange Wax to have excellent emollient properties. Similar to the chemical structure of lanolin in the same way that jojoba is similar to human sebum, it can provide a barrier property in a cream. Orange Wax also possesses anti-microbial properties and could be used in salves, balms, lotions, creams, lip balms, shampoos, and conditioners, but in small amounts only as this may stain the skin. Because Orange wax is a by-product of the cold-pressed oil, it will likely have some of the oil's photo-sensitizing properties. Hence, it is best to use Orange wax in products such as night creams, so to avoid exposure to sunlight after application. Orange Wax can be used in skin care balms, ointments, creams, lipsticks as an emollient. Orange Wax offers limited antimicrobial activity and can also serve as an anti-inflammatory agent. In some formulas, Orange Wax can be substituted for lanolin. Orange Wax can also be used in hair care conditioners and styling aids. Typical Composition: Unsaturated, Hydroxy & Saturated Monoesters - 50-65% Free Fatty Acids - 6-15% Hydrocarbons - 8-15% Phytosterol Esters - 5-18% Phytosterols - 4-8% Free Alcohols - 2-7% Carotenoids - 0.5-2% Glycolipids - 0.5-2% Phospholipids - 0.5-2% Flavonoids - 0.2-1% Physical Characteristics: Melt Point - 35-60C Congealing Point - 30-50C Acid Value - 10-30 Saponification Value - 70-110 Hydroxyl Value - 10-40

Red palm oil at 5% looks exactly like cheddar cheese. For a bright orange you will need a bit more red of some sort I think.

I got teased when I gave away some 5% palm soap, because it looked very very much like a piece of cheese from the grocery (also dyed with beta carotene, by the way).

The "red" in red palm is beta carotene.

When I did it I just kinda "winged it", as my soap was superfatted anyways. I wasn't too worried in this smaller batch I used the general guidelines for NON-TRIGLYCERIDE waxes like beeswax and lanolin etc which have fatty acids but aren't true triglycerides...which is "don't go above 1.5% of total oils". from the book
The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How

Susan Miller Cavitch

I made a walnut pumice orange wax soap

but as you asked, I found this section of a "Mr natural" sales sheet. just now with the saponification value of orange wax, here is the who snippet:

Product description

Orange Wax is 100% natural and is a by-product of the food industry. It is extracted from orange peels with the use of mechanical presses and is further processed to produce the wax. INCI: Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Wax. Appearance: Dark orange liquid to semi-solid wax with a strong orange oil scent. Uses: Orange Wax is a favorite additive with candle-makers because of its warm scent and colorant properties. Cosmetic formulators find natural Orange Wax to have excellent emollient properties. Similar to the chemical structure of lanolin in the same way that jojoba is similar to human sebum, it can provide a barrier property in a cream. Orange Wax also possesses anti-microbial properties and could be used in salves, balms, lotions, creams, lip balms, shampoos, and conditioners, but in small amounts only as this may stain the skin. Because Orange wax is a by-product of the cold-pressed oil, it will likely have some of the oil's photo-sensitizing properties. Hence, it is best to use Orange wax in products such as night creams, so to avoid exposure to sunlight after application. Orange Wax can be used in skin care balms, ointments, creams, lipsticks as an emollient. Orange Wax offers limited antimicrobial activity and can also serve as an anti-inflammatory agent. In some formulas, Orange Wax can be substituted for lanolin. Orange Wax can also be used in hair care conditioners and styling aids. Typical Composition: Unsaturated, Hydroxy & Saturated Monoesters - 50-65% Free Fatty Acids - 6-15% Hydrocarbons - 8-15% Phytosterol Esters - 5-18% Phytosterols - 4-8% Free Alcohols - 2-7% Carotenoids - 0.5-2% Glycolipids - 0.5-2% Phospholipids - 0.5-2% Flavonoids - 0.2-1% Physical Characteristics: Melt Point - 35-60C Congealing Point - 30-50C Acid Value - 10-30 Saponification Value - 70-110 Hydroxyl Value - 10-40

Thanks. Unfortunately I received ur response too late. I read on here to use 5-10% so I used 5. Came out an unnapealing dark brown mustard. I guess I shouldnt be surprised since the wax is a ylw brown. Probably wont use it again. I got a free bottle of orange wax if someone wants it.

Last edited:
Red palm oil at 5% looks exactly like cheddar cheese. For a bright orange you will need a bit more red of some sort I think.

I got teased when I gave away some 5% palm soap, because it looked very very much like a piece of cheese from the grocery (also dyed with beta carotene, by the way).

The "red" in red palm is beta carotene.

My carrott juice soap looks exactly like chedder.

What percentage carrot juice did you use? I’m a proponent of the anatto seed infusion, but I’d love to try carrot!

What percentage carrot juice did you use? I’m a proponent of the anatto seed infusion, but I’d love to try carrot!

100%. 2 carrot juice : 1 lye solution.

I think I'll try annatto next time.

I use red palm quite often, and in different ways/amounts, depending on the color and effect I want. Sometimes I use it as part or all of the superfat after the cook in hot process. Sometimes I add just a dab to a portion of the soap that I want as a yellowish or orange swirl. I have used up to 30% red palm in a batch, but it's not necessary to go that high in order to achieve that color. It was almost the same color as the oil in the pail, and had yellow bubbles. I could do without that, but my son loved it! Sometimes I mellow out the orange of red palm with a little TD. I love the feel of soap with red palm.

Latest posts

Back