Natural Colorant Photo Gallary

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you notice that the OJ bar has 100% OJ for the liquid? I thought that was interesting since I have been reading discussions on here about using OJ in CP soaps.

Today I was playing with some of my natural plant based colorants. Making small amounts of infused oil from some that I was out of for an up coming soap. I have played with/used most of these in CP soap. I thought it might be useful for anyone who has not used any of these before. Most of these are 1Tbs colorant to 2oz oil. When I mix them up I make sure to label the paper towel right in front of each jar. Then I can adjust amounts if I want to, then I write the adjustment. You can see the oil color, and a bit of the colorant itself on each circle. This is just the color of the plain infused oil of course........Some of these change with the high ph of CP soaping.

2013-02-21_20-06-26_705.jpg

2013-02-21_18-06-44_80.jpg

I had to resurrect this post. I tried my olive oil infused with calendula and it made a nice, though somewhat muted yellow. I was so pleased when it came out of the mold!! However, its cure time is not even completed and it has faded to a greyish white. I'm so disappointed. The best of the photos shows calendula flowers added at trace. I'm not sure I want to do that, but I guess that is the only way to keep the color.

I've tried Alkanet but used too much and that soap is really dark. I've been making curls and adding it to other soap. I tried some grated, but the color bled into the surrounding soap, so I guess I'll stick to the curls. I gave that whole batch to the storm relief. From what I have read, if you do not use enough alkanet, the soap turns a greyish color.

I've also tried parsley and rather like the green flecks in peppermint soap. My attempt at tumeric was dismal, but I do not think I added enough. I guess another tumeric and a paprika will be my next experiments. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Has anyone tried comfrey to color soap? That is one I could go out and gather myself!! I wonder if it would provide a similar green to the parsley.

Funny this came up today. I picked up some canning jars at the dollar store last nite and was going to do some infusions. I've had some calendula infusing now for a couple of weeks. Now with seeing those picture and Ruthie's experience I'm going to try using the infused oil plus add some petals at trace.

I have some green tea leaves that have been infused for a couple of months in the fridge. It's a nice green but haven't used it yet cuz I'm thinking it's just gonna turn brown. I also have some lavendar buds that I've infused but not loving it. No purple and smells 'herbie' not like lavendar.

What about trying rosemary Ruthie?

I generally use wheat grass powder mixed in at light trace for a green. It is cheap at my local food co-op and stays true as long as it is kept out of sun light. It fades terribly in the sun...

I had to resurrect this post. I tried my olive oil infused with calendula and it made a nice, though somewhat muted yellow. I was so pleased when it came out of the mold!! However, its cure time is not even completed and it has faded to a greyish white. I'm so disappointed. The best of the photos shows calendula flowers added at trace. I'm not sure I want to do that, but I guess that is the only way to keep the color.

I've tried Alkanet but used too much and that soap is really dark. I've been making curls and adding it to other soap. I tried some grated, but the color bled into the surrounding soap, so I guess I'll stick to the curls. I gave that whole batch to the storm relief. From what I have read, if you do not use enough alkanet, the soap turns a greyish color.

I've also tried parsley and rather like the green flecks in peppermint soap. My attempt at tumeric was dismal, but I do not think I added enough. I guess another tumeric and a paprika will be my next experiments. Any other ideas/suggestions?

The only green I have done that has stayed was a combo of turmeric/indigo. If I remember right I mixed them together and added to the batter. Then after mixing I adjusted by adding whichever one I thought would balance the color. This was my rainbow soap.

As far as calendula I have used a strong infusion of calendula. The soap is still a nice strong yellow. BUT I also did add turmeric oil. So I am sure that has boosted the color. These soaps are cured for 5-7months.

For each botanical keep records of what happens when you add whatever amount of botanical to whatever amount of batter. Then you can adjust.

I still have issues when I try a new design :/

Back