Napoleon Cremes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The inspiration for this soap came from my wife's baking. Mrs. Zing is renowned, renowned I tell you, for her Christmas cookies, especially her Napoleon Cremes (her side of the family calls it Christmas Crack). The bottom two layers are lye + water, the top layer is lye + brewed coffee. Top and bottom are colored with cocoa, middle is uncolored. Bottom also has ground oatmeal. I did not use a scent because I am an essential oil guy and nothing seemed appropriate. BUT PEOPLE! It smells like chocolate! I thought it couldn't survive saponification -- am curious what will happen during cure.

Details on the angst and drama can be found at What soapy thing have you done today? . I'm proud of the straight bottom two rows but ran into trouble with the top. Thanks to smart people here I got some great suggestions for next time. I'm still disappointed but soaping is always reminding me to let go of my vision of results and to accept the soap's results.

Here is the dessert (from Google search, not my wife's);
1602207651399.png

.20201008_200343.jpg20201008_200323.jpg20201008_201008.jpg20201008_200915.jpg

Attachments

• 20201008_201021.jpg
    20201008_201021.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 19
I agree! Looks edible haha.. I think they turned out great despite what happened to the top layer.

It's dessert themed soaps this week, is it? Hahaha

Cocoa powder? The same stuff one uses for baking? Now I want to try making what you did. I like the way the top layer looks with it! It gives it an accent. Idk how you even get those lines straight, just let the bottom layer sit a while? Or mix it up thicker?

I'm proud of the straight bottom two rows but ran into trouble with the top.

I think the unevenness of the top lends itself to realism. But if you want perfectly straight lines, then make three batches of soap...one at a time.

Cocoa powder? The same stuff one uses for baking?

I use it all the time for my Chocolate Espresso Soap. 1) I use it IN the main soap; it gives it a darker, richer and more even color than the FO alone. 2) I use it as a 'mica line' between the main soap and the white topping. 3) And then I lightly sprinkle the white topping with it.

Cocoa powder? The same stuff one uses for baking? Now I want to try making what you did. I like the way the top layer looks with it! It gives it an accent. Idk how you even get those lines straight, just let the bottom layer sit a while? Or mix it up thicker?
Yep, regular old cocoa powder from the baking supplies cupboard. It's a natural colorant and is a lovely brown. Put a teaspoon in a tablespoon oil and mix it well and get out the lumps. Brewed coffee in your lye liquid also darkens batter.

I separated my batter into 3 when it was at emulsion. Then I stickblended my colorant to medium trace and poured the bottom layer. Then I waited 5 minutes while it set up. My problem, though, was that the batter in the bowl yet to be poured was also setting up so by the time I got to the top layer, it was at thick trace and so heavy it kept breaking into the layer below. Other soapers on this thread and the soapy-thing-you've-done-today thread were super helpful on how to prevent this.

And I'm totally copying @TheGecko !

Back