My soap seems so drying

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzy

Reaction score
Hi, every batch that I have tested seems so drying and I usually have to use lotion. I try to keep CO down to around 20% Even the great formulas shared here seem just drying. All the numbers on Soapcalc seem great. I normally SF at 7%

What can I do to loose the dryness?

hehe,....coconut oil regularly straight on your skin....back to your regularly scheduled programming:)

How long has your soap been curing? I've noticed that my soap that's only cured for about 4 weeks is a little drying. But after a couple of months or longer, they're not and are more conditioning. Most of them have a SF of 5% to 7%. Like wine, the soap improves with age. :D

I am patient! :wink: the soaps I am talking about are at least 4 months old. :D

i have been soaping for a long time and had the same problem. after radically changing the way i think about a recipe, i was able to come across a new formulation that actually makes my skin feel NICE after i wash. you've got to take the CO way down and for me, bring the OO way up!

Here is one of the ones I like to use. It is from Honor
honor435 said:
ok, i love hemp oil soap
00 8 oz
co 9po 6
hemp 4
castor 3 water 9.9 lye 4.2 your skin will love you!

Another one of mine that I use is
35% OO
30%CO
25%Po
10% Castor

Both were 7%SF I have also added Oatmilk, Goatsmilk. Beer ect. ect.

Those 2 were just an example of the recipes I use. I have one more with loads of coco butter but I am not sure who posted it so I don't want to post it without giving credit due. Know what I mean. :oops:

Maybe it is just the long winter that is drying my skin out and not the soap :roll:

I did make a lotion bar that I think I am going to fall in love with today.

Some people are sensitive to coconut oil in soap and it gives them the itchies. Try subbing palm kernal oil for the coconut. You could also bump up your lye discount. I take a 9% discount and still get really good lather. Also, I find oatmeal to be great for keeping the itchies away. I use 1 cup finely ground oatmeal (oat flour) in a 12# batch (oils) and it really helps.

We heat with wood and even though we have a humidifier running 24/7 the house is still too dry. We use the oatmeal soap all winter and don't get itchy. Dottie

feel free to increase your superfat/lye discount. don't be afraid to go as high as 10-15%, even.

I agree with Northland Naturals: drastically reduce your coconut oil and increase other, less drying, oils like olive oils. I had the same problem, even though my skin is not prone to dryness. I lowered my CO to between 15 - 18% on the advice of an experienced soaper, and now I just love how my soap feels! Good luck!

Thanks! I am going to try everything... Starting off with what carebear suggested. I am sure these are great formulas especially the one from honor. I just need more sf'ing in the winter

Jezzy -

I have dry skin (mainly because I don't drink enough water :lol: ) and I've found 30% CO is too high for me. I've dropped CO to 20%-25% and upped my SF to 7%-10% and I've found it has helped a lot. Of course, everyone's different and what works for me may not work for you.

You are right!!! I am going to try lowering the CO. I guess it is just me. None of my friends have complained ( they are given soap only if they give an honest opinion ) :wink:

I made a bastile soap with PKO in place of the CO. Have you tried switching to PKO since it's milder than CO?

Also, I've met a woman who is allergic to CO. It's just a thought but it may be you're sensitive to coconut. I know soap is a rinse off product but it could still be on your skin long enough to cause a reaction.

eta: Ooops! I just noticed DottieF already brought up this point.

carebear said:
feel free to increase your superfat/lye discount. don't be afraid to go as high as 10-15%, even.

I agree! I regularly sf at 10%.

The jump from 7% to 10% is quite noticeable, trust me. No difference in lather - at all.

I keep my CO at 20-22%. Any higher and I get the itchies. The rest is pko.

this thread's a little older, but informative. I just used a bar that has cured for 4 weeks and it was drying....I think I'm going to let it cure longer to see if it improves. For this batch, I didn't use any CO at all...used Palm Kernel flakes (28%) and castor at 7%, OO (35%) lard (30%), SF at 8%, and used coconut milk (50/50 method). To me this looks like a good recipe, but right now it doesn't feel so great....so I'm hoping the longer cure time will make a difference.

Back