My shampoo recipe.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silhouette

Reaction score
I have been making soaps from past 6 months. First time i'm going to try shampoo bars. My recipe for the shampoo bar will be 20 percent each of coconut, palm, olive, rice bran and sunflower oils. So guys what do think of the oils? Do i have to increase or decrease any oil? And what should be SF percentage? I will be adding some henna leaves powder or some other herb.

Last edited:
Hi, your oils sounds quite nice for a shampoo bar! Enjoy using them once made. I have been making,using and sometimes selling shampoo bars for about 6 months now and I will never go back to store bought shampoo's again! I have even made some liquid shampoo which is quite nice but I do love my bars so I always go back to them. I also like superfatting to 8% so it doesn't dry out my hair. Two great oils to use in shampoo bars is jojoba oil (but it is out of my budget right now) and castor oil. The standard oils I always put in my shampoo bars are: co, castor oil, olive pomace, po, and superfat at trace with argan oil. One of my recipes calls for the addition of black walnut oil. I put in powdered horsetail (silica) and really like using rosemary hydrosol for 1/2 the water. The last batch I made I infused the oo with sage, rosemary, nettle and horsetail. I love being able to experiment with different recipes and making them "personal". Don't you? Enjoy your new shampoo bars!

Last edited:
Thanks betsbird. Right now cant afford jojoba oil.. Was wondering whether i should decrease my coconut oil!

Sounds nice! I've been wanting to make shampoo bars but for now I just use my 100% coconut oil 20% superfat recipe. Just a tip when using shampoo bars: fill a spray bottle halfway with white vinegar, the rest of the way with distilled water, and leave that in your shower. You can add some essential oils too if you'd like, but you have to shake before using if you do that. After you wash your hair with the shampoo bar, spray your hair with a light coating of the vinegar mixture, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse it out. The vinegar removes any soap scum from your hair, and prevents that weird thick feeling you get when you wash your hair with real soap (especially if you have hard water). Oh, and if you shave, do it before you shave! Ouch.

I use 30% coconut oil in my recipes. Gives nice lather. I also use the vinegar rinse for my hair but I go all out (the smell) and use apple cider vinegar infused with (again) rosemary, sage, horsetail, lavender and nettle then add essential oils for scent. Make a big batch of it and fill my shower bottle with approx 2 tbls vinegar mix to 1 1/2 cups water for my final rinse. :razz:

Your shampoo recipe really depends on what kind of hair you have. If you have oily hair then the coconut level might be ok but if your hair is dry, you'll want to lower it.
Shampoo bars are very different from body soap, you want a low cleansing number and keep the SF low, around 5%. A lot of people use the recipe from the first post in this thread, including myself. I might try replacing the soy with coconut to make it a tiny bit more cleansing.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946

Back