My Olive Oil Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, how long have those been curing? I noticed mine have shrunk/changed shape slightly after curing for a few weeks. Yours look amazing!

Dennis said:
JackiK said:
Dennis said:
Very nice!

Are you the long-lost Dennis we've all missed so much with the awesome soaping attire?

Busted! Rats! Thought I could hide out here for a while. Yeah, that's me. I am a firm believer in casual attire. 8)

Oh, Dennis, so nice to "have you back where you belong." (Can ya hear the music in the background!!) We've missed you so.

PS - Sorry to have hijacked this thread. I was just so excited to see Dennis was back.

cheesenoodle said:
Nice, how long have those been curing? I noticed mine have shrunk/changed shape slightly after curing for a few weeks. Yours look amazing!

Shrinkage and warping can be caused by full water content in the soap (usually defaulted to 38% of the mass of oils used).
I have learned with OO soaps that discounting the water greatly reduces time to trace and also significantly reduces the amount of shrink/warp in the bars.

And yes... those ARE beautiful soaps

dieSpinne said:
cheesenoodle said:

Shrinkage and warping can be caused by full water content in the soap (usually defaulted to 38% of the mass of oils used).
I have learned with OO soaps that discounting the water greatly reduces time to trace and also significantly reduces the amount of shrink/warp in the bars.

And yes... those ARE beautiful soaps

I understand that water content defaulted to 38% of the mass of oils will reduce the shrink/warp? Yes? No? Or did putting that in parentheses say that 38% was considered full content? I know, I know, no hair too fine to split. I'm interested because I just made my first 100% OO batch. Thanks.

My very first batch of OO was 500 grams of oil. To that I added a lye solution with 190 grams of water (38%)
It took a long time to trace, took a long time to set up enough to unmold and cut and was extremely soft for a LONG time. By the time they cured, they had shrunk quite a bit and warped something fierce!

Then I heard about discounting the water and I tried it by changing the setting from 38% of oil mass to a proportion of water to lye (right now I use 1.5:1, though 2:1 was a little easier to control until I got the hang of it.)

Let me tell you, with OO soaps especially, it makes a HUGE difference.
Trace comes in a reasonable period of time; set up happens within 18 -24 hours (depending on house temp) and the bars don't warp. I DO have a small problem with ash on the bars, but I will be experimenting with alcohol spray to see how well that works.

Latest posts

Back