My maiden voyage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlawrence

Reaction score
and it turned out mostly okay *but*

I grated a 5 ounce bar of castile soap. I made a rosemary 'tea' to melt the soap in and upon cooling added some jasmine essential oil.

It smells great, cleans well, nice lather blah blah blah

But if you leave it sit it turns into a semi solid gel if you can picture that. Right now it's sitting in the bottles I put it in ~ I can squeeze it out of the bottle with the cap off but not out of the cap to use like a normal liquid soap.

I fear putting in more water is going to disfuss the soap properties but it's all I can think of. When I compare it side by side with the bottle of Dr. Bronner's I have (when it was still a liquid) it's significantly dark and less transparent than his. This makes me think more water is needed? Am I correct? A 5 ounce shredded bar ~ how much water would that require to keep it in liquid form? Or am I looking at a chemical reaction? Do I need to add potassium hydroxide to it to make it liquid from a shredded soap bar?

Castille soap is solid and uses a different type of lye. You won't get a nice liquid soap with that. It will always turn into the gelly consistency; especially with solid castille soap.

Back