My first shaving soap is a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to ask why you were adding Citric acid ... I think I also asked once before but my memory is ... what were we talking about?

I was unaware that some people were sensitive to Lanolin. I did find a reference that has the incidence in the general population at 1.46 to 8.75 cases per million which is rather low. Cases of lanolin sensitivity among patients who had other contact dermatitis symptoms was significantly higher.

Clark E, Steel I. Investigations into the biomechanisms of the moisturizing function of lanolin. J Soc Cosmet Chem 1993;44:181–95.

I was going to ask why you were adding Citric acid ... I think I also asked once before but my memory is ... what were we talking about?

I was unaware that some people were sensitive to Lanolin. I did find a reference that has the incidence in the general population at 1.46 to 8.75 cases per million which is rather low. Cases of lanolin sensitivity among patients who had other contact dermatitis symptoms was significantly higher.

Clark E, Steel I. Investigations into the biomechanisms of the moisturizing function of lanolin. J Soc Cosmet Chem 1993;44:181–95.

CA to make sodium citrate which might well help lathering in hard water - pretty important for me. A lot of places use this 4 letter abbreviation thing that I can't recall at the mo, but I would prefer to use CA instead.

As for people actually being sensitve, not sure if it is real or just percieved to be honest. But there are folks on that other forum of ours where people have posted about reacting badly to The Fat and other soaps with Lanolin.

This is one example why I knew I wanted glycerine and not dirt in my shaving soap - both might well do the job, but more people would refuse a muddy soap than a glyceriney one. My soap is great with lard, but I would prefer to see if Tallow can give me the same or better result because then I can include those who wouldn't be happy using a pig-based product.

I'm still experimenting and my shaving soap is solely for personal use. I do not have a lanolin sensitivity. I love how Da Fat makes my face feel, although I am not a big fan of the lather from that soap compared to DR Harris and other hard shaving soaps.

Question: has anyone tried making a lard based shaving soap?

Last edited:

Not lard based per se, but my current one is-

48% SA
32% CO
20% Lard
7% Gly after the cook (should have been 15%)

Made a lovely soap.
------------------------

Again on a general note, I very often post things not just for the person quoted or even the OP, but also for the forum at large. The point about Lanolin is an example -the information is now there for people formulating their own recipes to consider.

Again on a general note, I very often post things not just for the person quoted or even the OP, but also for the forum at large. The point about Lanolin is an example -the information is now there for people formulating their own recipes to consider.

You sir are a true gentleman.

As to your recipe, 100% KOH?

I did two - one was 100% KOH, the other was (.......getting my book of recipes out.........) 45% KOH to 55% NaOH. I actually find the mixed one fine for lathering up, whilet he KOH is just as good but need a lot of water to get there. If you are used to Italian style or the harder pucks you can go for what you like.

I rendered some tallow recently so will try it in a shave soap, but it is a real hassle to have to have self-rendered as my only supply of tallow :(

I did two - one was 100% KOH, the other was (.......getting my book of recipes out.........) 45% KOH to 55% NaOH. I actually find the mixed one fine for lathering up, whilet he KOH is just as good but need a lot of water to get there. If you are used to Italian style or the harder pucks you can go for what you like.

I rendered some tallow recently so will try it in a shave soap, but it is a real hassle to have to have self-rendered as my only supply of tallow :(
It surely is, especially if you sell your soap and need large quantities. As a pure hobbyist, part of the fun for me is rendering tallow from the free beef trimmings my local grocer graciously provides from time to time :thumbup:

I think the term "based" is a rough one for soaps. What does it mean? "Mostly?" " I had this in mind and created my recipe around it?"

I have used Lard in place of tallow and it's been fine, great even. One of my favorite bar soaps is from IrishLass and uses Lard. Setting aside the SAP values, I believe it's generally okay to replace them 1:1 for each other.

Here in the states the green/white boxed Armour brand of Lard has worked very well for me.

I think the term "based" is a rough one for soaps. What does it mean? "Mostly?" " I had this in mind and created my recipe around it?"

I have used Lard in place of tallow and it's been fine, great even. One of my favorite bar soaps is from IrishLass and uses Lard. Setting aside the SAP values, I believe it's generally okay to replace them 1:1 for each other.

Here in the states the green/white boxed Armour brand of Lard has worked very well for me.
I meant in place of tallow in shaving soap. I have no particular proportion in mind, yet.

I've accumulated bacon drippings in a coffee can in the fridge and the coffee can is full. I plan to render the gunk out of the drippings and use the remaining lard.

I've accumulated bacon drippings in a coffee can in the fridge and the coffee can is full. I plan to render the gunk out of the drippings and use the remaining lard.
Yuk.

Lard is like a buck at the store ... I'm not sure I could smear all that smell on my face. I've spoken to a few folks who have tried this - far be it from me to discourage experimentation, but so far I don't know anyone who has liked it no matter how much they like bacon.

Yuk.

Lard is like a buck at the store ... I'm not sure I could smear all that smell on my face. I've spoken to a few folks who have tried this - far be it from me to discourage experimentation, but so far I don't know anyone who has liked it no matter how much they like bacon.

Well, rats. There's experimentation, and then there's banging one's head against the wall.

Thanks for the info!

Lard in nearly $4 a pound here, I've often though about using bacon grease but I don't eat enough bacon to collect the fat.

Obsidian lives in Idaho. I don't have any idea of how many hog farms there are in Idaho, but I'd guess there are a lot fewer than in Iowa. Transportation costs and local patterns of usage can have a big effect on the availability and cost of a specialty item like lard.

Walmart in Idaho has the 4lb buckets of Armor brand lard for $5.88, if they aren't in stock you can order it online and pick up in store or have the manager order it for you.

My walmart doesn't carry the buckets but I can look into ordering them for that price.
Not that you NEED $50 of lard, but they often have free shipping on orders > $50 so you can see what else you might need. I think shipping to the store is free as well.

CA to make sodium citrate which might well help lathering in hard water - pretty important for me. A lot of places use this 4 letter abbreviation thing that I can't recall at the mo, but I would prefer to use CA instead.

As for people actually being sensitve, not sure if it is real or just percieved to be honest. But there are folks on that other forum of ours where people have posted about reacting badly to The Fat and other soaps with Lanolin.

This is one example why I knew I wanted glycerine and not dirt in my shaving soap - both might well do the job, but more people would refuse a muddy soap than a glyceriney one. My soap is great with lard, but I would prefer to see if Tallow can give me the same or better result because then I can include those who wouldn't be happy using a pig-based product.

Do you mean EDTA, Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. Its a ion chelator, i.e. Bind the salt in the water to have less free salt interacting with soap.

Back