My first shaving soap is a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaved today with the original recipe on this thread and a kamisori. Great advice about adding lots o water. Excellent shave.
Bit of 444 after and that's it.

I now feel like the newbie soaper who asks, "What is SF?"

Okay, so enlighten me, please -- what is a kamisori? And why do I get the feeling it is "edge play"? :twisted:

I now feel like the newbie soaper who asks, "What is SF?"

Okay, so enlighten me, please -- what is a kamisori? And why do I get the feeling it is "edge play"? :twisted:
It's a Japanese straight:

IMG_4908.jpg

Technically it is roughly Japanese for "razor", but when used in the US it refers to the traditional fixed blade.

These are hollow on one side and straight on the other making them somewhat challenging to shave oneself with. They were intended for one person to shave another, thereby only using the one good side (Omote), the one with no stampings and flat face. The other side is hollowed (the "ura") and is intended to be away from the face.

I use a "kamisori style" with a replacement blade:

Also bloodthirsty, but at least the grind is the same on both sides.

Danit ... now I'm looking at these things again! Here's a gorgeous Damascus steel blade:

These are made with two different steels - the part for the edge is "welded" to the handle. Click on the image if you dare ... see what these things cost. They go higher than that as well.

Last edited:
I've used a straight (I have an antique one) and it was okay but those look really scary!
Non-symmetrical bevel aside, they are not too bad. It's somewhat easier for some folks to manage since there's no handle at right angles to the blade. They are absolutely scary looking however - and punish inattention.

They are the only straights in my rotation now. On the weekends when I have more free time, a long, luxurious shave with one of these is my spa treatment. Definite edge play.

I just tried my batch last night! It worked well, despite the softness & inconsistency I had after the cook. :D And loading it into lotion stick containers so far seems like it was a good idea for the way I use it!

Awesome! Now that you have had a taste, there's no going back. Welcome to the dark side - we have cookies!

Latest posts

Back