My first shaving soap is a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to add to this thread: I'm on version 3, and really like all the versions I've done so far. I tried the basic version from the initial posts, then jazzed it up with cocoa butter and jojoba, and now I'm playing with adding propolis (I am a beekeeper, after all!) and what that might bring to the mix. Thanks so much to Songwind and all the other generous soapers who shared their experience! This is great!

I just did - I have Lemongrass EO and it is slightly different. The Arko uses Citronella, of course, but it also seems to have a slightly chemical undertone. Not sure if that would come from the Citronella or just from the soapy smell.

When I make the shaving soap, I'll give it a go with the Lemongrass and see what we get

This thread has been a very enlightening read! I recently made a shaving soap from Debbie Thomas' blog and have had some good reviews of the soap. Did it in a Pringle's can with a liner, it came out easily the next day and was cuttable into pucks. I'm planning on making more for Father's Day gift sets for a few people who want them. I am so happy I found this thread, the education contained within it is priceless!

Just want to add to this thread: I'm on version 3, and really like all the versions I've done so far. I tried the basic version from the initial posts, then jazzed it up with cocoa butter and jojoba, and now I'm playing with adding propolis (I am a beekeeper, after all!) and what that might bring to the mix. Thanks so much to Songwind and all the other generous soapers who shared their experience! This is great!
I'd be very interested to hear how you work the propolis in - I am a beek also and am always looking for new ways to use products from the hive :)

There are two ways to work it in: you can use an oil that you've steeped propolis in, much like an herb. I always keep some EVOO and propolis going, to use in various things. The other way is to dissolve it in high proof alcohol, then strain. The dissolved propolis/alcohol mixture can be used in things like liquid soap, where alcohol is ok, and will evaporate.

Since it has anti-microbial properties, it may help with that aspect of things, but of course I never make that claim. Resin (which is what it is--souped up resin) brings other things, like body to liquid soap and the like. Will it make the shaving soap better? I don't know, but my initial testing says it doesn't make it worse!

There are two ways to work it in: you can use an oil that you've steeped propolis in, much like an herb. I always keep some EVOO and propolis going, to use in various things. The other way is to dissolve it in high proof alcohol, then strain. The dissolved propolis/alcohol mixture can be used in things like liquid soap, where alcohol is ok, and will evaporate.

Since it has anti-microbial properties, it may help with that aspect of things, but of course I never make that claim. Resin (which is what it is--souped up resin) brings other things, like body to liquid soap and the like. Will it make the shaving soap better? I don't know, but my initial testing says it doesn't make it worse!
Excellent. So, powder the propolis (after freezing) and infuse it in the OO - how much would you suggest PPO? I have about two ounces of it I've been saving to make tinctures with, I just need the Everclear which means a road trip.....

My first shaving soap is a success

Hi, I am new to this soaping forum. I really don't understand the recipe you posted at all. How much KOH did you use? Thanks,
virgs1

Virgs1 -- If you are talking about Songwind's original post:

"...I did a small batch (8 oz). 52% stearic acid, 48% coconut oil, saponified with KOH. I added 1.5 tablespoons of glycerin after it was done cooking, along with 1/4 oz of essential oils: 2/3 lemon & bergamot, 1/3 rosemary...."

...he didn't say how much KOH he used, because that is something that a good soaper will determine on his or her own.

Do you use a soap recipe calculator to doublecheck your recipes? If not, here is one to check out: http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp There are other good calculators out there; SoapCalc is just one of the more popular ones.

Choose a recipe size, enter the percentages of the fats, choose the type of lye (KOH), choose the lye solution concentration, and choose the superfat .... and you'll get the amount of KOH needed. For a shaving soap, the superfat is usually on the medium to lower side -- I think 3% to 5% is pretty common, maybe as high as 8%.

Excellent. So, powder the propolis (after freezing) and infuse it in the OO - how much would you suggest PPO? I have about two ounces of it I've been saving to make tinctures with, I just need the Everclear which means a road trip.....

I do a 10-30% solution in both oil and Everclear--usually I go for the stronger solution, because you can always dilute.

I want to try this recipe, but I have a couple of questions. All of my soaps are made with goat's milk and/or beer, is it possible to use pottasium hydroxide with those? Also, what does the added glycerin do?

I don't see any reason you can't use KOH with milk or beer.

The glycerin boosts the lather a bit, and acts as a humectant.

I tried a batch without it, and it worked fine. But I thought it wasn't quite as nice on the skin, so I left it in my final formula.

The glycerin might also help to stabilize the lather somewhat. But I add glycerin pretty much for the same reason as Eric -- skin conditioning and soothing.

I tried this recipe this weekend as a 40% NaOH and 60% KOH and went through hours of research and calculations. Decided to use this to try out 4 masculine scents (Eucalyptus, tea tree & peppermint, bay rum & BB tobacco, and cedar) and roll them out refridgerator cookie style like DeAnna suggested.

But I screwed up with the clay. I've only ever used clay in cold process soap, and I make a slurry and add it at thin trace and stick blend it in a little more. I need to stop doing that. I need to add it to the lye water.

Anyways I added the clay slurry to the already traced and too sticky to stick blend mixture and was never able to blend it in completely, so I have little blob dots of clay in my shaving soap!! Bleh.

I am SO disappointed, because they would have been great without this messup!! The pucks are kinda soft, yet still firm enough to wrap up on their own. Even though its way early I tried a bit to shave my legs and they are very nice and slippery. Too early to tell about lather I think. But I think those clay bits are gonna be a deal breaker for face shaving. Maybe Ill give them to a friend of mine with a dive boat as wetsuit lubricants or something...

Next time clay in the lye water!! Good thing I only make 2 lb batches :)

Edit to add: Hubby did just lather test some with his brush and it does have a fluffy lather for such a young soap, so maybe its not a total loss.

shaving soap.jpg

Last edited:
I want to try this recipe, but I have a couple of questions. All of my soaps are made with goat's milk and/or beer, is it possible to use pottasium hydroxide with those? Also, what does the added glycerin do?

I use 50/50 KOH and NaOH in mine, goat's milk as the liquid and a combination of oat powder and bentonite clay, blended into the oils with the stick blender. I've had good results so far--or at least no problems caused by the goat's milk.

The added glycerin adds lubrication and conditioning. Most people add some percentage of glycerin, usually 10% at minimum (I just made a batch with 20% glycerin + honey, and am waiting for the soap to cure a couple days more before I test it to see whether a higher amount adds any benefit).

:)

Edit to add: Hubby did just lather test some with his brush and it does have a fluffy lather for such a young soap, so maybe its not a total loss.

One of the reasons I love this formula is that it is ready so quickly. Of course, all soap is better with cure, but this one lathers well and has great glide almost right off the bat. It's also very versatile--like a little black dress, you can dress it up with additives and fancy oils or dress it down and keep it original recipe-style simple, and it is uniformly excellent. Thanks so much, Songwind, for sharing this wonderful formula with us!

I have read this thread through several times, and today, I finally got the courage to try this soap, a present for my brother who shaves with a straight razor. I've only made about four soaps, hot and cold process, but this was the first time I used KOH. I used 400 grams oil (52% stearic acid, 48% Coconut Oil), 57 g of glycerin (30% of CO weight). I heated the CO separately from the stearic acid, added the 25% KOH solution to the CO, then added the stearic acid. After the stearic acid was added, the soap traced really fast. I think it only cooked for 10 or fifteen minutes. Then, I added the glycerin and it was really hard to stir. I actually ended up putting on rubber gloves and mixing it by hand. I wanted to make sure that the glycerin was well mixed in. Finally, I added some EO for fragrance. I kneaded it for a long time. Then I patted it into two glass containers that have a mouth the right size for dabbing with a brush. I did taste it to see if it zapped, but it seemed okay.

Should I now let it just set for awhile to make sure that it is completely saponified? I guess I will only know if it's good shaving soap when he tries it out.

I really enjoy this forum - I have learned so much.

Back