My first recipe!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexieLoom

Reaction score
Hello all,
After a few months of playing about with tried and tested CP recipes I would like to try formulating one of my own. I wondered if you guys could cast your expert eyes over it and let me know if i’m making any newbie errors!

I’m going with 5% super fats and I particularly want to keep the rosehip in there for my dry skin!

Thank you so much in advance!

86E89403-5DB5-4F4F-A5BF-A3CFC0136CE5.jpeg

If you have dry skin, drop the coconut down to 15%. Add the other 15% to your almond. In all honesty, I would prefer this recipe if you added in a hard fat like palm of lard, would you be willing to try either of those?

Also, the expensive rose hip oil isn't going to really help your dry skin. This is just soap, meant to clean not moisturize. I'd recommend use the rose hip in a body butter instead.

I would drop the CO to 15-20%, and drop the Rose Hip altogether. It's expensive and not sure what it would even bring to the soap. Use it in a leave on product.
Add the difference to either your olive or almond. I too would add palm or lard for a more well rounded batch.

And since this is your first post please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Welcome!

I am a little differnt as my family's skin can take the 30% coconut oil without any problem. The only suggestion I will make is that you omit the expensive rosehip oil and add that percentage to the sweet almond. I would save the rosehipe oil for a leave-0n product such as lotion or cream.:)

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!
Regarding Palm Oil or Lard... I’ve done a lot of research on Palm oil and I’m satisfied that I have found a supplier that I am happy with, I have some on order but won’t get it for a week. I’d like to avoid lard, it has a serious image problem here in Scotland!

From what you are all saying it sounds like the rosehip won’t do what I’d like it to... what about if I only put some in at the superfat stage? Would it not then stay on my skin after rinsing?

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome Shunt2011... i’ll do that ASAP!

Both olive and almond are high oleics. You can simplify by using just one. Almond oil rated highest on an online lather test but may be more expensive than olive.

No, the superfat doesn't stay on the skin after rinsing. Not only that but if you are making CP, there is no way to choose which oil remains as SF regardless of when it is added.

Not an expert but I learned here that your superfat might or might not stay Rosehip if you HP it but if so, also not for long and not at max effect.

It'll still be an expensive oil for a wash off product, and more expensive if something goes wrong

I usually use between 20-40% coconut oil as well because we can take it but then I superfat that between 6-8% as well

Did you need the rosehip for your face or body? I know an aunt who uses it directly on her face as a serum..

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!
Regarding Palm Oil or Lard... I’ve done a lot of research on Palm oil and I’m satisfied that I have found a supplier that I am happy with, I have some on order but won’t get it for a week. I’d like to avoid lard, it has a serious image problem here in Scotland!

From what you are all saying it sounds like the rosehip won’t do what I’d like it to... what about if I only put some in at the superfat stage? Would it not then stay on my skin after rinsing?

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome Shunt2011... i’ll do that ASAP!

Is there not bigger problems to worry about in the uk than the use of lard in soap? But you can always when saying the ingridients cough*lard*cough or if you have a broad Edinburgh accent speak softly till you get to lard then go all scottish on them. Of course this only works if your telling someone the ingridients and if you even have a scotish accent or a cough at the time. Seems to be quite a few ifs in my plan maybe your better just waiting for your palm oil :) ps i am only joking with you i cant really talk im from wigan. Now if your welsh thats a different matter entirely ;)

Being serious now could you not use veg shortening instead if its only for personal use or gifting to friends and family when your happy. Where have you ordered your palm oil from that its going to take a week to get there?

No, the superfat doesn't stay on the skin after rinsing. Not only that but if you are making CP, there is no way to choose which oil remains as SF regardless of when it is added.

Thanks for the info... you’ve highlighted my misunderstanding of superfat and prompted me to go and do some more research!

Not an expert but I learned here that your superfat might or might not stay Rosehip if you HP it but if so, also not for long and not at max effect.

It'll still be an expensive oil for a wash off product, and more expensive if something goes wrong

I usually use between 20-40% coconut oil as well because we can take it but then I superfat that between 6-8% as well

Did you need the rosehip for your face or body? I know an aunt who uses it directly on her face as a serum..

I had a rosehip serum that I used on my face which is why I wanted to try it... thought it might make the rest of me nice and soft!

Is there not bigger problems to worry about in the uk than the use of lard in soap?

Being serious now could you not use veg shortening instead if its only for personal use or gifting to friends and family when your happy. Where have you ordered your palm oil from that its going to take a week to get there?

pig fat pretty much sums up how I feel about Westminster at the moment (quite apt considering it was David Cameron that got us into this mess );)

Don’t know much about veg shortening so i’ll look into it, thanks. I’ve ordered the Palm Oil from The Soap Kitchen... funnily enough it arrived this afternoon, much sooner than they said it would

Last edited by a moderator:
pig fat pretty much sums up how I feel about Westminster at the moment (quite apt considering it was David Cameron that got us into this mess );)

Don’t know much about veg shortening so i’ll look into it, thanks. I’ve ordered the Palm Oil from The Soap Kitchen... funnily enough it arrived this afternoon, much sooner than they said it would

Iv heard of them not ordered anything from them though i get almost all my oils from the soapery. also where i get my mica powders from. If you struggle to find aanything or arnt sure where to look fpr something o dont have a problem helping you out so dont hesitate to inbox me :) its always helpful knowing someone it same(ish) country to point you in right direction. Iv only tried making lard soap once and thats taking flaming ages to cure.

Out of curiosity what is the issue with lard?

Wuth regards to learning this forum is amazing and absolutly crammed full of information however soap101 and soap queen youtube and infact soap queen site is also full of great information and its really easy to read and understand and the videos are really clear and again easy to follow iv spent many hours watching them mirrored to my tv so i can watch on a bigger screen

Last edited:
Iv heard of them not ordered anything from them though i get almost all my oils from the soapery. also where i get my mica powders from. If you struggle to find aanything or arnt sure where to look fpr something o dont have a problem helping you out so dont hesitate to inbox me :) its always helpful knowing someone it same(ish) country to point you in right direction. Iv only tried making lard soap once and thats taking flaming ages to cure.

Out of curiosity what is the issue with lard?

Wuth regards to learning this forum is amazing and absolutly crammed full of information however soap101 and soap queen youtube and infact soap queen site is also full of great information and its really easy to read and understand and the videos are really clear and again easy to follow iv spent many hours watching them mirrored to my tv so i can watch on a bigger screen
Preaching to the converted here Chris!
As far as lard goes.... Scotland has a (loosely accurate) reputation for deep frying everything so it’s an image thing!
Thanks for the offer of help :)

Preaching to the converted here Chris!
As far as lard goes.... Scotland has a (loosely accurate) reputation for deep frying everything so it’s an image thing!
Thanks for the offer of help :)

I hope you have more patience than me lol oh you mean like battered mars bars? Never understood that one. I saw an american program that taled about battered cola now that one i really cant get my head round.

Ah right fair enough. Cant say iv ever associated scottish cuisine with deep frying everything. My sister went to and lived in st andrews and then worked there for about 10 years and cant say she ever mentioned that. I do absolutly love Scotland although i do much prefer countryside rather than cities in general ill actively avoid cities. Infact she even got married in Scotland (just about, Gretna Green) in August and named my niece after the Isle of Iona

Back