My beautiful textured tops...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
.......or the ones I would like to have!

What is the best way to play? If making a single colored soap should I

a)wait and pour the whole batch into the mold at heavy trace

or

b) pour most of the soap batter into the mold, wait until the remaining batter has thickened before adding and then start playing with my spatula
or

c) ???

And how would one handle a soap with a different colored top and bottom?

I definitely have swirly top envy! :D

Jude

I pour at medium trace for a single color . Then I start to play with the top , I use a pick comb , wooden knitting needle , popsicle stick , butter knife , spatula, pottery tools etc . I play until it is the way I want or the soap gets to thick :wink:

For 2 colors , I pour the bottom at fairly thin trace, pour the top over a wide spatula , so it doesn't go down into the first layer and do as above . Going down the mold in a ribbon ( think ribbon christmas candy) fashion will get some nice results as will a circle 8 shape.

Kitn

If I'm just doing one colour, or an ITP swirl, I pour at thick trace. I pour about 80% of the soap in the mold, then let it set up a minute or two, then pour the rest down the center to make kind of a mound. Sometimes I use a small spatula from side to side to give it a creamy look, or dip a mini whisk down each side, bring it up while twisting to the middle. That gives a nice textured swirly look!

I pour medium also, then swirl around with a spoon - it'll thicken up as you muck about.

I wait till its hardened some and then do 'ruffles ' in it...and i use a clay set from the dollar store.

Thanks so much all. Now I just need to kick everyone out of the house so I have some time to play!!!

Jude :)

I brought this old post back up because I STILL haven't been able to produce a decent textured top. Tried today in a one pound log mold and after pouring at medium trace and playing around every 15 minutes for an hour------nada. I am so tired of my flat tops.

I just want to scream and here it goes--AWWWWWGH!

:x

Would love a tut or some pics on this very subject. TY. I'm tired now. :cry:

i leave my soap once it is at thin-med trace alone in the pot for a while, then when it is at thick trace i pour into the mold and put it in the oven for 10 mins or so, then i open the oven and play with it with a spatula and kinda swirl it about.

Hey jude I pour at a medium thickness into my mold and then use a popsicle stick to play............the batter needs to be thick enough that it stays in place once you have manipulated it. I think too that some recipes tend to lend themselves more to this technique than others. I have on occassion had a batch that just hasn't wanted to play the game so I popped it into the fridge and then after a few minutes was able to sculpt more upon the attempt already made.
When I want to do a finer swirl in the soap I do pour at a thinner trace and just wait for the soap to set up in the mold. I hope you get there :0)

Thanks for listening to my rant! I haven't completely given up on the idea of fabulous tops and still think it would be a great Tut! ......hint,hint...... :wink:

Latest posts

Back