My 1st zappy soap Pics Added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramma Judy

Reaction score
This is probably the 30th batch or so and my 1st zappy one. I am planning on rebatching. It is only 1 day old, but it is oozing zap. I kind of thought it would not turn out before I even put it in the mold. It was a super fast mover. I used the orange coconut oil for popcorn that I had bought by mistake. I don't know if it was the 'natural' coloring or the FO that caused it to move so fast. I am thinking it was the coconut oil because I had read on SSR that the FO I used was supposed to have behaved nicely. Anyway, any suggestions for rebach method for 1 day old soap. How much additional water, oil, if any? Is the oven bag the best route for me to go? AND, is this going to be some butt ugly soap when finished? The orange coconut oil did result in a nice creamy yellow color, but I added a dark green color to swirl with. I think it is going to end up some bile color. I have never rebatched or HP'd before. Will post pics of before and after. [url="http://www.flickr.com/pho...ww.flickr.com/photos/41953883@N06/3864417143/[/url] I hope this came out right . I am not very good at this picture stuff. Any way the before and after

Bummer, you were on a good roll! I wonder what else is in the orange coconut oil? Something buttery? I don't know anything on rebatching. I'd like to see pictures!

A lot of times 1-day old soaps can still be zappy, so it might be that your soap is perfectly fine but just needs to cure a little longer. I've had certain soap batches still zap me up to a week later, but then be perfectly fine and zapless from there on out. Because of that I no longer judge a soap to be lye heavy until it's at least a week old.

You can still rebatch right away if you want to, but if you do, I would set aside 1 bar from your batch for experimental observation's sake to see if the zap in it goes away after a week.

If you rebatch right away, you really don't need to add any extra water unless you discounted your water amount in the original recipe. If so, then I would add a little, but not too much. As for oil amounts, I would add one tsp at a time, mix it in well, cook for a little bit and then test for zap. Keep doing that, bit by bit, until all zap goes away. The oven-bag method is a really good method for rebatching.

IrishLass :)

I added the pics. Hope it turned out right. The soap was thick and big lye pockets. So I knew it would not cure out. Kind of pretty, but NOT what I had envisioned. Notice how yellow the base is. No added color, just from the cocnut oil. The scent is Olive Blossom. Smells a lot like an old candle scent that I used, China Rain.

"In the old days" LOL I've used that orange colored coconut oil for years.
It's not the cause of your problem, and if it's like what I used "way back then", the yellow color will lighten considerably, to almost white.

It looks like accidents I've had, when the mixture thickened on me and I
dumped it in the mold too quickly -- when I SHOULD have kept stirring for
awhile to get the ingredients well mixed.

I would re-batch it, zappy or not, just to be sure the ingredients are
well-dispersed. It's gonna be green (one day) I'm betting, but as far
as you're lye/fat ratio--who the heck knows what's oozing out. I wouldn't
add more oil -- It's probably lye/water oozing out and the last thing you need
is more oil. Don't add water either -- just melt it in a bag, get it well-blended and squirt it into your mold, bang the mold to level it and see what happens.

The last picture, it has already been rebatched. Looks kind of snot colored. Maybe it was the FO that caused the prob, doesn't really matter now, since I already rebatched. Oven method and did add a little extra oil just in case I screwed up on my initial measuring. No longer zappy, but it is ugggggly. Definately a strange shade of green. I have to add I love my new WSP molds. Also need to add I DO NOT LIKE REBATCHING. Took forever. So I will have to concentrate on doing it right the first time.

Your soap does look gorgeous though - pretty colours and fabulous swirling!

Latest posts

Back