My 1st salt bar!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! Yesterday I was inspired by some of the salt bar posts & decided to make the 1 that's been on my mind for a while now. I used south pacific FO & kelp granules. I learned a few things. One, don't sprinkle kelp granules in the mold before pouring. It looks like black specs on the bars :shock: . Two, don't insulate. I was reading posts & online recipes at 3 a.m. & didn't recall seeing anything about whether or not to insulate, so I did. Lacking sleep, I forgot there was goats milk in my bars until I smelled something burning :roll: ! The center bar is brown, blue & green. I stuck them in the fridge & it stopped the brown from spreading. Three, when other soapers say to work quickly, they mean work like greased lightening! I was working fast but my naturally colored batter hardened on me! So my fourth lesson learned only use 1-2 colors, I'm not fast enough to use 3! I had fun & even though 3 broke while cutting, I think they came out nice! :D

IMG_20121225_135443.jpg

IMG_20121225_135337.jpg

These look great. Thanks for the insights!! I think this is what I'll be doing later this evening. I haven't soaped in days and the withdrawals are getting severe. Shakes, black spots in my vision, shortness of breath. Quick!! Where's my lye and oils?!?!

Lol, I know what you mean! I used the last of my coconut oil to make the salt bars. Today I went grocery shopping to get ready for our 1st snow storm and ended up spending an unplanned $30 on olive & coconut oils! Hey if happen to get snowed in, I might as well be happy making soap! :)

Does anyone know if you can rebatch salt bars? When I got back from Christmas dinner at my moms house, all of my bars had turned brown. :cry: :twisted:

SoapAddict415 said:
Does anyone know if you can rebatch salt bars? When I got back from Christmas dinner at my moms house, all of my bars had turned brown. :cry: :twisted:

I think they would be nearly impossible to rebatch by themselves since they're pretty hard. But you could always break them up, crumble them & add them to another batch of soap.

Good job on your first salt bars :) With salt bars, I always use individual cavity molds for them, because once they get hard & set up, they can be a beast to cut.

I am wondering if your fragrance oil contained vanilla. I have been using vanilla stabilizer along with any f.o. that has a vanilla content. So far it has worked.

I am wondering if your fragrance oil contained vanilla, that along with the milk will turn a soap brown. I have been using vanilla stabilizer along with any f.o. that has a vanilla content. So far it has worked.

Back