Back with Batch #7

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Soapers!

I've been out for a bit with Covid, but am on the amends. I managed to make Batch 7 and learned a lot, and still need to learn more!!!!

The particulars : Used Zany's ZNSC recipe with CO and Castor Oil (Thanks Zany!!) Made 600grams and tried out some new molds I got from Temu.
Lesson Learned #1: Should have calculated or intelligently estimated total volumes of molds and figured how many I could fill before hand. I ended up with some partial mold fills due to over estimation of volume :rolleyes:
Lesson Learned #2 : Be more patient about taking soap out of molds. They were solid, but still a bit too soft and this led to dinged edges when I removed them. Also, I made a mold of a Koi (it was much smaller than I thought it would be when I ordered the mold) and I broke the tail because it just wasn't solid enough yet!
Lesson Learned #3 : I didn't mix some of my colorants well enough initially and didn't realize this until I was near the end of the pours and saw unmixed colorant gummed up on the side of the mixing cup!
Lesson Learned #4 : Just because a scent says it doesn't affect color, doesn't mean that it's necessarily true! I my case I used 4 colors, 3 were fine, but the red ended up turning brown. Scent was Birchwood Oud (BB).

I am submitting two pictures. The first is at 24 hours, and the second is at 72+ hours showing how the red...er...brown, became a lighter brown!

Happy Soaping Everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Used Zany's ZNSC recipe with CO and Castor Oil (Thanks Zany!!)
You're welcome @MichaelP!
TIP: Be sure to put an "@" in front of the name so the person you are addressing gets a notification. ;)

Should have calculated or intelligently estimated total volumes of molds
Usually the amount the mold holds is part of the description. For example

If each of the single cavity rectangle molds holds 5 oz.
And there are 6 individual cavities in the mold.
6 X 5 oz. = 30 oz. soap
30 oz soap divided by a factor of 1.37 = 22 oz. oils (approx.)

HTH:computerbath:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is only you're 7th batch? They're very nice! I love the blue and green circle, it kinda looks like a globe!

My first two batches of ZNSC were epic fails of my own making. One day that recipe and I will play nice. One day.

@LucyFae, Thank you for the nice comment! I have still made plenty of goofs though!

There are many places for mistakes learning to take place. I think my background in science definitely helps. Science is all about being able to replicate/reproducing someone else's results as a method of validation. Two things must happen though. One, the original experiment/procedure must be extremely well documented detailing every step, equipment used, etc. The second is that the person trying to replicate the original follow the "recipe" exactly as explained by the original publication. Problems occur in soap making because we don't have the same standards, the same equipment, or add a slight variation to the original recipe (different FO, different mixing temperatures, different lye concentrations, different Oil ratios, and on and on). With all these potential variables that can be changed, it means that our soap may not turn out exactly like the original posters soap did... Apologies for the long winded science guy talk! ...Also, don't think for a minute that scientists are perfect in achieving this either! The lab that I worked in received samples generally from universities all over the USA and trust me, there were plenty of people who had PH.D at the end of their names that made some rather basic errors... Ok, ok I'll stop! 🤪 There is no fails, just learning experiences! Wish you and everyone happy soaping!!!!

@LucyFae, Thank you for the nice comment! I have still made plenty of goofs though!

There are many places for mistakes learning to take place. I think my background in science definitely helps. Science is all about being able to replicate/reproducing someone else's results as a method of validation. Two things must happen though. One, the original experiment/procedure must be extremely well documented detailing every step, equipment used, etc. The second is that the person trying to replicate the original follow the "recipe" exactly as explained by the original publication. Problems occur in soap making because we don't have the same standards, the same equipment, or add a slight variation to the original recipe (different FO, different mixing temperatures, different lye concentrations, different Oil ratios, and on and on). With all these potential variables that can be changed, it means that our soap may not turn out exactly like the original posters soap did... Apologies for the long winded science guy talk! ...Also, don't think for a minute that scientists are perfect in achieving this either! The lab that I worked in received samples generally from universities all over the USA and trust me, there were plenty of people who had PH.D at the end of their names that made some rather basic errors... Ok, ok I'll stop! 🤪 There is no fails, just learning experiences! Wish you and everyone happy soaping!!!!
No need to apologize, there's many scientific soap makers on this forum. I think to take soaping seriously, whether for yourself or to give away/sell, you have to have a scientific oriented mind, or at the least, a curiosity about it all, since so much goes into it. What oils pair well, how much lye and water to use and why and when to change your usual amounts, when and why and how to use certain additives, etc. I've been at it for a bit, trying everything I can get my hands on, and just found a recipe I actually like, despite my soap being a hit with everyone else.

Sure, it can be simple, but the members here take it to a whole new level and I've learned a ton too, so if you arent too sick of the scientific method at work, I think you'll love some of what you see here. I lurked for years before actually joining, and still find new things. There's always questions, and even experienced members have had batches go wonky despite repeating the same steps as always. Even something as simple as ambient temperature can play role, which is why i try to write it down in my recipe notes, especially when/if you delve into the bath and body aspect of bath fizzies or try making candles. I tend to measure very precisely and try to notate everything I do - at least until I get to the coloring/design portion, where I typically wing it.

While I myself am not a scientist, I've certainly worked with my share of science types in lab settings, and oh, the stories we could swap! I won't mention the new employee who forgot to cover the centrifuge with a fecal sample, or my first time prepping for rabies testing, because most people would be horrified 😬

If you haven't seen it yet, one of the forum members has a wonderful website with a portion dedicated to soap, and delves into some of the science involved, mostly chemistry iirc. I've seen her share it, so I'll add my bookmark for you to check out if you haven't seen it yet, I definitely recommend giving it a good read!

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp
Now im the one rambling! Can't wait to see your next batches, I bet they'll be lovely!

Hello Fellow Soapers!

I've been out for a bit with Covid, but am on the amends. I managed to make Batch 7 and learned a lot, and still need to learn more!!!!

The particulars : Used Zany's ZNSC recipe with CO and Castor Oil (Thanks Zany!!) Made 600grams and tried out some new molds I got from Temu.
Lesson Learned #1: Should have calculated or intelligently estimated total volumes of molds and figured how many I could fill before hand. I ended up with some partial mold fills due to over estimation of volume :rolleyes:
Lesson Learned #2 : Be more patient about taking soap out of molds. They were solid, but still a bit too soft and this led to dinged edges when I removed them. Also, I made a mold of a Koi (it was much smaller than I thought it would be when I ordered the mold) and I broke the tail because it just wasn't solid enough yet!
Lesson Learned #3 : I didn't mix some of my colorants well enough initially and didn't realize this until I was near the end of the pours and saw unmixed colorant gummed up on the side of the mixing cup!
Lesson Learned #4 : Just because a scent says it doesn't affect color, doesn't mean that it's necessarily true! I my case I used 4 colors, 3 were fine, but the red ended up turning brown. Scent was Birchwood Oud (BB).

I am submitting two pictures. The first is at 24 hours, and the second is at 72+ hours showing how the red...er...brown, became a lighter brown!

Happy Soaping Everyone!!
wow, beautiful soaps! I especially like that turquoise color- it goes so well with the green and black. Great work!

No need to apologize, there's many scientific soap makers on this forum. I think to take soaping seriously, whether for yourself or to give away/sell, you have to have a scientific oriented mind, or at the least, a curiosity about it all, since so much goes into it. What oils pair well, how much lye and water to use and why and when to change your usual amounts, when and why and how to use certain additives, etc. I've been at it for a bit, trying everything I can get my hands on, and just found a recipe I actually like, despite my soap being a hit with everyone else.

Sure, it can be simple, but the members here take it to a whole new level and I've learned a ton too, so if you arent too sick of the scientific method at work, I think you'll love some of what you see here. I lurked for years before actually joining, and still find new things. There's always questions, and even experienced members have had batches go wonky despite repeating the same steps as always. Even something as simple as ambient temperature can play role, which is why i try to write it down in my recipe notes, especially when/if you delve into the bath and body aspect of bath fizzies or try making candles. I tend to measure very precisely and try to notate everything I do - at least until I get to the coloring/design portion, where I typically wing it.

While I myself am not a scientist, I've certainly worked with my share of science types in lab settings, and oh, the stories we could swap! I won't mention the new employee who forgot to cover the centrifuge with a fecal sample, or my first time prepping for rabies testing, because most people would be horrified 😬

If you haven't seen it yet, one of the forum members has a wonderful website with a portion dedicated to soap, and delves into some of the science involved, mostly chemistry iirc. I've seen her share it, so I'll add my bookmark for you to check out if you haven't seen it yet, I definitely recommend giving it a good read!

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp
Now im the one rambling! Can't wait to see your next batches, I bet they'll be lovely!
@LucyFae, Love the Lab horror stories! Yes, we could swap some! Thanks for the link. Yes, I have seen her website. I love the science behind saponification! ... Next batch pictures coming soon!!! Thanks LucyFae.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back