My 1st Beer Soap.. what went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasSkyz

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to soap making .. I only have about a dozen batches of milk soap under my belt.

This is my 1st attempt at beer soap and everything seemed to go perfect.

I used 3 different molds. 1 Lg Silicone loaf and 2 plastic cavity molds. Soaps looked great when I unmolded them after 24 hours.

But then 36 hours later I started seeing something new... The edges are turning white and cracking open.. These white spots are softer then the rest of the bar.. I tried to smooth them over but overnight they started cracking again.
huh.gif

Bars from all 3 molds are showing it and it's only on the outside edges.

I agree that it looks like ash. It doesn't hurt anything and is really just cosmetic. Once your soaps are cured you could wash them in a salt water bath to wash off the ash. Some use hand held steamers but they never worked for me. I usually just leave the ash unless it is really bad

I've not experienced ash that is noticably softer in spots and cracks like you describe. If I get ash it completely covers the tops of my soap, but no textural changes or cracking has ever occurred, but that is just my experience. If I saw this on my soap I would definitely do a zap test to make sure these spots aren't lye heavy.

Looks like it may go deeper then just the surface. IDK I can't say I have had much experience with ash.

What process did you use? Did you boil your beer down or freeze it? Did you gel or force it not to gel? Recipe? The beer soap I made recently didn't have any issues, knock on wood. I did boil my beer down but did not freeze it, and I did gel. I used lard, palm, coconut, olive and soybean to make that batch.

Thanks guys,

I did boil the beer and then froze it.
I did keep temps cool...probably just under 100 ...

I dont have the recipe in front of me but i used coconut oil, lard, palm and olive oil.

Used sandlewood and vanilla FO ...

Doesnt look like the ash i have seen before.

Will zap test when i get back home.

The white spots seem to be getting firmer..

If they are from lye pockets ....will they eventually fade away?

Back