Multi Butters Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So I see people metioning "triple butter" soap, etc so I assume it means they are using 3 butters (shea, cocoa, mango, etc) in their soaps and I also assume that the soap is suppose to be more luxurious?

So I only have shea and cocoa at the moment, if I wanted to use both of those in a recipe, do I add equal amounts like say 10% of each or can you use any amount for each? What do you all do?

yes, triple butters generally mean shea-cocoa-mango. however, they are not limited to these 3 butters, you can do any combo you like.

you can do equal or different amount, it is up to you. lately, i like to use these luxurious butters as my superfat (esp. when i do hp).

Question for Obsidian about 20% butter limit in soap

The most I would use is 20% total butter, divided how ever you see fit.
Obsidian, can you tell us why you only use 20% butters? I just made up a recipe with 25 and would like to know what negative thing I can I expect by going over the 20%. I also have 21 Coconut in the recipe as well as some , Lard, and a little bit of rice bran oil in it. It would be good to know what problem could arise, so I could maybe tweak the recipe before I made soap with it!

Thanks!
June

Obsidian, can you tell us why you only use 20% butters? I just made up a recipe with 25 and would like to know what negative thing I can I expect by going over the 20%. I also have 21 Coconut in the recipe as well as some , Lard, and a little bit of rice bran oil in it. It would be good to know what problem could arise, so I could maybe tweak the recipe before I made soap with it!

Thanks!
June

I also have a 25% recipe and love it. I am tempted to try a 100% butter bar someday just to see how it turns out.

Thanks!
June

I find too much butter makes the soap draggy and reduces lather. In all honesty, I don't see many benefits from butters except increased prices. My lard soap feels better and leaves my skin more conditioned.

I find too much butter makes the soap draggy and reduces lather. In all honesty, I don't see many benefits from butters except increased prices. My lard soap feels better and leaves my skin more conditioned.

Thanks Obsidian! I haven't tried a high percentage lard recipe yet but I have a couple that I made up with soap calc. So I'll have to make some for my one pound mold when I can get back to making soap. I like the fact that they are lighter colored for some recipes, which means no TD needed.

June

i do a three butters soap with a combination of butters at 46% and to me it came out great. with butters you should expect a creamy soap, but i still got a satisfactory lather . i do not always use soap straight to my skin so i can not speak for any type of "drag " from the soap. i think you really got to try create a recipe that works for you , we all have different expectations from a bar of soap due to skin type and time of the year.

I have made several batches with cocoa and shea and I have found keeping the butters no more than 15% total makes a really nice bar. I can also go a little higher on my coconut with them in a bar without drying me out.

Back