Movies: Austrailia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
OK, I admit it, I'm a guy and my DW talked me in to taking her last night to see Australia. I must admit, any guy who can sit through this movie without a tear in his eye is a tough nut!

REVIEW: I'd pay full price to see it a second time! 8)

What did you guys think of it?

Paul

I loved it!!! My DH took me on Friday night (here in Aus) and I loved the whole 'Baz Luhrman' thing - he directs with such broad brushstrokes, yet so much attention to detail. I love my country's scenery and he has captured some of the best of it.

I had heard Nicole was 'wooden'.....she was portraying an uptight, repressed British aristocrat.....of course she was wooden! She also bloomed in her new environment and showed that brilliantly. Don't get me started on Hugh.....so good looking, so sensitive and nice (that's what his wife says... :D ) - they worked wonderfully together.

And the rest of the cast.....some of our best and brightest actors did their stuff and it was awesome.....Jack Thompson and Brian Brown to name only 2. The stolen generations sub-theme makes us think about our racial stereotyping and prejudices is a new light, as quite a lot of Aussies really don't know that it even occurred, or why. My Mum thinks it was to save the poor little kiddies from starvation :x

And didn't the Wizard of Oz theme meld so well with the overall concept.......can you tell I'm a fan :oops: :lol: :wink:

I just saw this today, and...ugh. The only reason I didn't leave 1/2 way thru was Hugh Jackman. (that man is HOT). Instead, I stayed & fidgited, hoping he would get his shirt off again :lol:

I thought the movie was cartoonish & just one cliche after another. I was waiting for Bryan Browns character to tell someone 'Don't come the raw prawn with me, bucko' - that was the only okka line missing. The only good thing about it was the scenery.

I haven't seen any trailers until today, and have tried to ignore as much of the hype as possible (pretty hard, seeing as the 'Territory Hotel' and the cattle yards were actually in Bowen QLD rather than Darwin NT, only a couple of hours away from where I live) and tried to have as open a mind as possible, but I was disappointed in this movie.

Becky said:
I just saw this today, and...ugh. The only reason I didn't leave 1/2 way thru was Hugh Jackman. (that man is HOT). Instead, I stayed & fidgited, hoping he would get his shirt off again :lol:

Haven't seen the movie, only heard of it a couple days ago - but I agree with the sentiment! 100% :wink:

Back