Mold Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyBayou

Reaction score
I feel embarrassed to ask. For the life of me, I can not figure out what size I need to build this mold. I know the LxWxHx.40....and my brain simply just does not function in a way to figure this out. So, can someone lend me some insight?

I want to build a mold that is
1.5 inches High
2.5 inches Wide
Length Unknown

I am using:
30oz oil
18 oz water

Can someone help me figure out how long this mold needs to be?

I think your mold would have to be at least 32 inches long to hold 48 ounces, that is including oil and water and not the lye or any other additives. Add another 4 inches to be safe. My grandson came up with the idea of using a starting point of 1 inch length and then multiplying by whatever number that would make x=48 oz.

Okay, ran a 30oz OO castile through Soap Calc to get a total weight to work with... Came up with 46.2oz. Then you just go ahead and divide the total weight with the other known values (.4, 1.5, and 2.5) to get the length. In this case, what I got was 30.8, so 31 or 32 should work well for you (to give you a bit of wiggle room).

Are you sure about the 18oz of water? running Soap Calc at full water only gave me 11.4 oz of water.

Sorry, I'm no help with the mold dimensions, in fact I'm more confused then you ever were.. I thought that equation was for the oils only? Or is it for the oils AND lye solution?

Ack! I am so off my rocker today. 16 oz of water is what I intended to write. 2 oz difference...I should be okay with going with about 31 inches in length then?
I am working on a project to supply a local womens shelter with soap for their residents and they have requested that they be a certain size and I just wanted to comply with their requirements but still be able to make a nice bar of soap for the ladies there (that don't look like a chopped down bar of soap) and figured it would be easy enough to do. While hubby and I were at the hardware store grabbine wood for a mold he said "Do you know how long it needs to be?" And I said "Oh piece of cake" Unfortunately I seemed to forget I had to have help with the dimensions of the last mold too. Math has never been a strong point for me.

I feel embarrassed to ask. For the life of me, I can not figure out what size I need to build this mold. I know the LxWxHx.40....and my brain simply just does not function in a way to figure this out. So, can someone lend me some insight?

I want to build a mold that is

1.5 inches High

2.5 inches Wide

Length Unknown

I am using:

30oz oil

18 oz water

Can someone help me figure out how long this mold needs to be?

So, the formula is: length x width x height x .4 = volume of oils.

So, you need to plug in your knowns.

Length x 1.5 x 2.5 x .4 = 30.

Length x 1.5 = 30.

Length = 20.

Latest posts

Back