Modifying a recipe - could use the voice of experience

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonBath

Reaction score
So, this is what I mean about needing a substitute for palm oil. There are plenty of recipes out there, but when I look for a specific kind - beer soap with shea butter - they all seem to have palm oil. I need to modify a recipe like this with a substitute that isn't lard or tallow. Experienced soapers, what would you do?

4oz. Castor oil
23oz. Coconut oil
23oz. Palm oil
4oz. Shea Butter
4oz. Soybean oil

22oz. very flat beer
8.5oz. Lye

I can't really recommend a palm substitute for you, but I would recommend that you look at the 'sort soap making oils' page on soapcalc.net, there you can check palmitic and a whole list of oils containing palmitic acid will come up: the ones I often see recommended as subs for Palm are on there: shortening, cacao butter, rice bran, avocado.

I'm wondering why there is no olive in the recipe, and notice that your coconut is high, has a figure of 27 on soapcalc, quite far beyond the range. I know there has been recent discussion on the forum about the numbers on soapcalc, the hardness of water in one's area and one's skin sensitivity levels, so for me I'd say that this recipe, with the soft water here would dry my skin terribly.

I'd also like to make another plea for Palm oil. Yes palm oil from Indonesia is unethical, yes we can't often trust corporations to police themselves. But other places do produce palm oil. If you can find palm oil from Costa Rica or Nicaragua, it comes from plantations that were previously banana plantations or pasture. Banana plantations are fairly toxic, and pasture is neutral at best, palm plantations may be mono-cultures, but they do create habitat and the trees are better for the environment than either banana or grass.

I know emotions run high around here on palm and the tallows. And I understand that there are a lot of soapers who have done their research and are passionate. But if you can find palm from Costa Rica, your substitution problems could be over.

You can come up with your own recipe using SoapCalc. Here is an example

8% Castor Oil
28% Coconut oi
49% Olive oil
15% Shea Butter

For the size batch you wanted the amounts would be:

4.64 oz Castor
16.24 oz Coconut
28.42 oz Olive
8.7 oz Shea

8.1 oz lye
22 oz liquid

If I were you, I would start with a 16 oz batch first. You can run any recipe through SoapCal and resize.

Back