Doggie Soap (cold processed)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did read that, maybe I am asking the wrong questions then,
Is there some where a chart that is scientific based on what the ph levels of various ingredients are?

Not with litmus paper, as that is generally accepted use, but necessary reliable with industry standardizations, and quality varies from company to company.

I guess that is why, I started with asking about the properites, so I can then further investigate, the answer to those questions.

I found dozens and dozens and multiple of dozen of recipes online, all with varying pieces of info, I know there is a lot of wide ranging information out there, some good, some not to good, some bad, espeically about EO, this is why I am conducting my own research. But do need to start with

1) the best quality of properties for a dogs soaps.
2) narrow it down to the ingredients that fit into those categories
3) look at the scientific standards for ph for those ingredients
and so fourth

Yes / no- hardness - ?
Not too cleansing ?
Yes /no to bubbles ? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?
Yes /no to conditioning ?
Yes / no to Creamy? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?

Bassicly, I don't want to just make soap for my beloved pets, I want to ensure the best possible quality.

Last edited:
I did read that, maybe I am asking the wrong questions then,
Is there some where a chart that is scientific based on what the ph levels of various ingredients are?

Not with litmus paper, as that is generally accepted use, but necessary reliable with industry standardizations, and quality varies from company to company.

I guess that is why, I started with asking about the properites, so I can then further investigate, the answer to those questions.

I found dozens and dozens and multiple of dozen of recipes online, all with varying pieces of info, I know there is a lot of wide ranging information out there, some good, some not to good, some bad, espeically about EO, this is why I am conducting my own research. But do need to start with

1) the best quality of properties for a dogs soaps.
2) narrow it down to the ingredients that fit into those categories
3) look at the scientific standards for ph for those ingredients
and so fourth

Bassicly, I don't want to just make soap for my beloved pets, I want to ensure the best possible quality.
You might be better to start a new thread with your specific questions so that people will see it. Maybe under the recipe feedback forum?

Dogs have a higher pH than human skin so, in theory, should be able to tolerate a slightly higher pH than humans. Cold processed soap will always be between 9-11 pH and it cannot be made lower without un-saponifying (for want of a better description). Therefore if you want to make a shampoo for dogs (or humans for that matter) with a pH to match their skin you will have no choice but to make a shampoo with synthetic detergents (AKA syndets).

What you are looking for for you dogs is no different to what we all want in our human soap - the best possible quality. And that varies for everyone.

All I know is that i used to buy bar soap for myself before making my own. And until that time I never bothered to understand what was in a bar of soap - it was just soap.

Before making bar soap for my dogs i used to buy commercially made dog soap (made with saponified oils) and it was fine for them. it was therefore safe to assume that homemade lye soap would be fine too.

Your mileage might vary.

Hi,

Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place.

I have been reading about making dog shampoo bars for the last three days, and pretty much nothing else.

I'm not looking for a recipe. But more the quality of oils and how they effect dogs.

There is a HUGE massive amount of info on the quality of oils and their properties, and how they function, but its all for humans.

For example coconut oil, is great for (I am sure you all know this, but need the info for my example)
Coconut oil is great for hardness, cleaning, bubbly, but poor for condition and creamy for humans.

I read somewhere, on the forum, I believe, that coconut oil is NOT good for dogs, because its too cleansing, but some is need, and should not be more then 20 percent.

Here is my question: Where are the ideal conditions for cold press soap for dogs?

Yes / no- hardness - ?
Not too cleansing ?
Yes /no to bubbles ? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?
Yes /no to conditioning ?
Yes / no to Creamy? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.
I use Babassu oil in my dog shampoo as well as neem oil.

Back