miscalculation during resipe resize

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw a blog about using oats and banana in making soap and wanted to give it a try. As the measurement was in lb. and oz, while i'm measuring in gram, i decided to make a smaller batch and create my own recipe, with the total amount of oils that'll fit my mold. However, I forgot about that fact when I put in the oats and banana. The original version called for 1/2 cup of rolled oats and one very ripe banana with a total of 61 lb and 13.8 oz of oil, while I'm only using a total of 380gm of oils. However I still used 1/2 cup of rolled oats and one ripe banana.

I've taken it out of the mold after 24 hrs and the shape still holds, but it felt gooey and very soft. I've not cut it yet as I'm afraid I'll squish it. Now I'm worried that it won't harden up and cure properly. Do you think I should rebatch it? If so, how should I go about it? Increase the oil + lye solution?

You can cut it up while it is still soft and rebatch in a crockpot. Maybe you can cook out the extra moisture. If you have some old soap, shred it up and add it to the soft soap.

if i wish to rebatch, do i add in the lye solution and additional oils into the double boiler, or should i mix up the lye solution and oil, get it to trace and then only mix it into the melted down ones in the double boiler?

to rebatch you do not need to add anything..... you are just trying to get out some of the moisture in your already made soap batch... to add lye will make it lye heavy

Hi Lion of Judah,

I don't mean just adding in the lye solution, but preparing an additional lye solution + oils, whisk it up to trace and then add it into the melted down first batch of soap. Do you think that's better?

Latest posts

Back