Might have to rethink my opinion on salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so having, in another thread, declared that I'm about to make at least 8 batches of salty soaps, I need ideas for recipes....
I think I'll try :

@Alfa_Lazcares's 80% coconut, 20% AVO and 50% salt. Superfact?

Also, @shunt2011 's 80% Coconut, 15% Avocado Oil & 5% Castor. 40-50% Salt. 18% SF.

@Steve85569 's 100% salt BWO and 100% coconut oil. Superfat?

Any other must-try recipes?

80% Coconut
20% Avocado
50% salt
20% superfat

And I also use coconut cream. 50% coconut cream 50% water (in which I dissolve the lye).

80% Coconut
20% Avocado
50% salt
20% superfat

And I also use coconut cream. 50% coconut cream 50% water (in which I dissolve the lye).
Thanks for SF info....ooooh coconut cream, too? I have some in the freezer that didn't get all used up in a curry....was thinking for food, but now it's going in the soap!

ETA: oh and as I read back, everyone uses coconut cream! We'll never eat curry again! :p

MGM - I can be slow getting back to you since I am not available daily. (other hobbies)

I typically run 15 or 20% SF (lye discount) in salt bars. Just because that's what I learned to do.
I have an experiment curing with 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% SF just because I can.
IMHO salt bars like a good long cure so If you're interested send me a PM and I'll round up a set for ya.

I got the powdered sea salt from Salt Works. It was recommended here by a couple people. My recipe is 80% Coconut, 15% Avocado Oil & 5% Castor. I use 40-50% Salt. 18% SF.

I was just thinking trying AO with CO for a salt bar. I have fine grain sea salt and was planning on running it though my mini ‘food processor’. Do you dissolve your salt in the lye solution or in the water before adding lye or just dump in in the soap batter?

I was just thinking trying AO with CO for a salt bar. I have fine grain sea salt and was planning on running it though my mini ‘food processor’. Do you dissolve your salt in the lye solution or in the water before adding lye or just dump in in the soap batter?

I add the salt into the oils. The lye solution will not hold over 24 or 25% salt in solution.
It seems a bit scary at first but once you've reached trace the salt stays in the soap.
If you hurry you can even get a swirl or two in...:)

Don't grind your salt, it can make sharp edges that will cut. If you have fine salt, use it as is.
Don't use dead sea, himalayan or epsom salts.

Thank you @Steve85569 and @Obsidian.

I went totally off the rails with my experiment.

So I started with the 80% Coconut, 15% Avocado Oil, and 5% Castor Oil. Mixed a little TD and some Alpine Green Mica from Nurture Soap to give me a light, dark green color. Decided to go scentless. Didn’t do anything with my salt other than to measure and pour,

So the ‘rails’? I used frozen coconut milk instead of water. I was going to thaw some out for a 50/50, but didn’t want to wait or chance microwaving, so I just measured what I need and slowing added the lye. It was interesting because when I use frozen goat milk, I have to use an ice bath and my cubes are melted by the time I add the last of my lye. With the frozen coconut milk, I didn’t use an ice bath and I still had frozen bits by the time I finished adding my lye in. Then I let it sit while I prepared my oils and got just the right shade of green. It was really thick when I picked it back up, but some stirring loosened it up; I noted that I had a lot of fatty bits so I gave it a couple of quick bursts and it smoothed out. I used round cavity molds and tossed them in the garage; I’ve never used Coconut Milk before and did want them overheating.

I just unfolded them and I am VERY pleased with how they look. The salt grabbed onto some of the mica and I have little green specks. I’ll take pictures tomorrow when I have better light, but I am really liking the look of these! Now to be patient and wait at least three months for the first test and six for the second. If they work out, I’m thinking a little eucalyptus-spearmint would go well.

I generally use fine sea salt and no, I don't dissolve it. I add it to the batter at light trace and mix well. I have found I prefer 40-50% of the oil weight in salt. Some use 100% and love it. 50% is pretty much my perfect spot for me.

I generally use fine sea salt and no, I don't dissolve it. I add it to the batter at light trace and mix well. I have found I prefer 40-50% of the oil weight in salt. Some use 100% and love it. 50% is pretty much my perfect spot for me.
Mine uses salt at 50% as well and it's, hands down, my favourite soap.

Thanks for the info @Steve85569 . All right, I just made @Alfa_Lazcares 's recipe, quoted above, with 1/2 coconut cream and a 20% SF. Boy, is 50% a lot of salt! I mean, salt is heavy, but I couldn't believe how much I had to add to get to 250g.
Scented with CC Sea Salt and Driftwood and TKB's After Twilight mica, which, turns out, just looks like wet cement. When will I learn to save my opalescent micas for M&P??

@Obsidian I understand why you shouldn't use epsom salts, but why not himalyan?

The high amount of minerals in it that give the pink color are not soluble and it can scratch/cut the skin.
Think of little grains of sand in your soap. I actually just use canning salt in my salt bars.

I just tested a castile saline soap in CPOP (to test rapidly) and clearly, it didn't change much. The feel of the castille is still present , basically no differences.

I just tested a castile saline soap in CPOP (to test rapidly) and clearly, it didn't change much. The feel of the castille is still present , basically no differences.

That is totally different than a salt soap. Two different types of soap. I don't like any castile I find it drying and slimy.

Salt soaps have a high percentage of Coconut Oil 80-100% and a 15-20% superfat with salt added to the batter not dissolved.

Latest posts

Back