Mica tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
So I wanted to do a pretty mica top with sparkly mica on the top of my loaf... tried to do it with my sifter and too much came out at once. It's my first time trying it. Any pointers for next time, for a fine, even coating on the top?

The entire bottom floor of my house is now covered in a fine layer of sparkly mica dust because "in the moment" I lost all common sense and decided to blow on the spots that had mica piled up... yeah don't do that.

I've read the suggestion by several people that they put panty hose over the top of a bottle and shake the mica out. Supposedly it works very well.

Sacha was it for soap pre gel or post? I use a small soft paintbrush and paint the top of mine when I unmold..............Pre I have not done but use one of those small sieve tea strainer gadgets that you infuse your tea with and that works well for me :0). Have used pantyhose and they are good too

thank you Hazel! now that you mention it, I've heard that too. Sounds much better than my method :)

hello dear Lyn! it was HP actually, I added extra water so the top was still quite wet and gooey like CP. I do have one of those tea things, I may give that a try as well since the mesh is so fine! thanks for the idea!

have to say the soap turned out looking just fine, I just wasted a lot of mica, which is currently all over everything. bahaha.

I have paint brushed my logo before, it works well. I would also use my fingers. Just pinch a little and just rub it on, I am so low tech!

Hazel said:
cinta said:
I asked this very same Q not too long ago, see here:

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Hope that helps! :D

This must have been one of the places I read it. :D It was also mentioned on another forum so it must work. I like the idea of a tea strainer, too.

me too, since I have one already... and have no pantyhose :shock: and no need for them! itchy!

thank you cinta for the link!

Back