Melt and Pour colorants in CP soap, interesting..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashdigger

Reaction score
So I picked up some liquid colorants for melt and pour soap to try a little experiment, I used a blue color mixed it in a little of the oil from the pot. Looked good at that point then mixed it with a little of the batch set aside and started the pour, base, color more base, more color so on. Then... bam my blue goes to fusia with a hint purple..magenta? Poured the mold let set thru gel phase and opened 24 hours later. This turned into some of the prettiest colors, Did not hurt the soap I still got a great lather, smell and hardness. Has anyone else played with these types of colorants in CP 20180210_170148.jpg

When I did my results were not a nice as yours. Lye can react with M&P colorants and give unexpected results.
At one point I could tell you how the colors would morph - but I have gone to micas , clays and the natural discoloring of FO's for making swirls and patterns in soap at this point.
I take advantage of Dragon's Blood browning and use another split for a white for the effects.
Then again, my thoughts wander. Must be bed time for me...

Yeah I use micas too but I really like the liquid colors.. it was just an experiment, but it worked!
Thanks..

So I picked up some liquid colorants for melt and pour soap to try a little experiment, I used a blue color mixed it in a little of the oil from the pot. Looked good at that point then mixed it with a little of the batch set aside and started the pour, base, color more base, more color so on. Then... bam my blue goes to fusia with a hint purple..magenta? Poured the mold let set thru gel phase and opened 24 hours later. This turned into some of the prettiest colors, Did not hurt the soap I still got a great lather, smell and hardness. Has anyone else played with these types of colorants in CP View attachment 28695

What type of M&P colorant was it? I picked some up to try as well. When I looked at the ingredients, they turned out to be mostly micas in a glycerin base. I'll be playing a bit with them tomorrow.

What type of M&P colorant was it? I picked some up to try as well. When I looked at the ingredients, they turned out to be mostly micas in a glycerin base. I'll be playing a bit with them tomorrow.

Not all micas are lye stable.

For the most reliable results with micas, and if you don't want to play guessing games or aren't experimenting for the fun of it, finding a reliable supplier who posts photos of their product in CP soap is your best bet.

ashdigger, when I was still quite new at soaping, at first I didn't care about color, just wanted to make decent soap. Then I got interested in color and tried different substances from my kitchen and garden, with varying results, most of which were ruled out as effective colorants. Then I tried M&P colorants because they were the only ones in craft stores and I had some because of a M&P project with my granddaughter. Then I tried some purchased organics for natural colorants, again, with varying results. I moved to micas, oxides and ultramarines. I did try some pigments once (not my own, someone elses) and did like the convenience of the liquid color, but chose not to go that route for myself. At one point while traveling, when I did not being enough colorants with me on my trip, I purchased some cheap eye shadow to add to soap, with colorless results. The micas in that particular eye shadow was not lye stable. Now I stick with lye stable colorants from reputable and reliable sources for my colorants.

Experimenting to see what will work for you is fine. And if you feel compelled to experiment, by all means do so.

I've used eyeshadow too!
Worked very well in some M&P that someone asked me to make for them. Also in the HP lavender scented bath soaps that I made for the family but the colour morphed a bit - still good, a new shade of purplish grey.

Apologies if I've strayed off topic a bit here.

I really figure it would morph, I guess what I thought was funny was the great color it turned into, I got lucky. I strictly use micas now with the exception of turmeric once in a while, but I think I may play around with it a little more to see what happens.. Thanks (everyone)...earlene!

Not all micas are lye stable.

For the most reliable results with micas, and if you don't want to play guessing games or aren't experimenting for the fun of it, finding a reliable supplier who posts photos of their product in CP soap is your best bet.

That's all well and good but if your supplier's orders don't come through for up to 3 weeks (Voyageur, I'm looking at you) and you have no reputable suppliers in your town, that I've been able to find (we do have Michael's), you do what you can to find colorants where you can. I'm willing to experiment with M&P colorants in small test batches until I can afford to put in another order, when I will likely go with Lab colours and another mica or two.

That's all well and good but if your supplier's orders don't come through for up to 3 weeks (Voyageur, I'm looking at you) and you have no reputable suppliers in your town, that I've been able to find (we do have Michael's), you do what you can to find colorants where you can. I'm willing to experiment with M&P colorants in small test batches until I can afford to put in another order, when I will likely go with Lab colours and another mica or two.

My town doesn't have any soap colorants, so I understand what you are saying. Yes, I do have to buy online and yes, it takes time and money to build up a varied supply. I tried a Lab color once and did like it, but it wasn't mine and I have not purchased any myself. I have been tempted, but so far have just haven't taken that leap.

Just a little fyi, blue food coloring will come out a very pretty lavender to purple, after morphing through a few color changes. You want the blue that states on the ingredient label as Blue 1. Here is a link listing natural colorants you can play with http://www.the-soap-dish.com/natural-soap-colorants.htm. Only difference with using soap colorants is the naturals will fade over time

Here is one other by Soap Queen https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...-tricks/natural-colorant-testing-inspiration/

I tried infusing olive oil with beetroot powder but it didn't work. The beetroot didn't release any colour whatsoever to the oil. Chamomile and dill worked but surprisingly not beetroot :(

Other than Turmeric I really haven't had any luck with natural (home made) coloring's. I really like the liquids and that why I tried that convenience but I really like the dry micas also.
This has been a good thread, and some really good thoughts.. thanks for everyone's input!!

I've used micas; I've used FD&C blue (which turned a lovely mauve), I've used ultramarines, I've used some natural colorants, including TD and AC. Right now, I have some anatto-infused oil and some turmeric-infused oil waiting to be used. In other words, I've tried a lot of different colorants. Unfortunately, I'm almost out of most and have to wait a while before ordering more. All that said, I kind of prefer natural, non-coloured soap but other people seem to like coloured soap.

I really like the natural alot but it seems that others really like the solid colors with off setting swirls and layers, but your right sometimes I just like the natural without sent..

Back