May 2019 SMF Challenge Tiger Stripes ENTRY THREAD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the ENTRY Thread for the May 2019 SMF Tiger Stripes Technique Challenge. Entries may be uploaded here starting today through May 28, 2019. Voting will commence on May 29, 2019 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey. The winner will be announced on May 31, 2019. All times are CDT.

Please include your chosen entry photo and a brief description of your process, colors and fragrances used if so desired. You may change your entry up to the time the entry thread closes. The sign up will remain open until May 28, 2019.

Below is a link to the challenge thread should you need to review the rules:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-may-2019-challenge-tiger-stripes.74903/

Please remember that no comments are allowed in the entry thread. If you wish to make a comment regarding an entry, please do so on the challenge thread. Non-entry posts will be asked to be deleted.

Thank you to all participants. I hope you had fun with this technique and I am looking forward to seeing what you made.

Ok here goes. This is my entry. It is done in HP with the colors of red, purple and white and it is scented with Elderberry Spritz. I love how vibrant the colors came out. Its not perfect But the best I could do in HP. I used higher temperatures and a higher water percentage to make it fluid enough to use the pour technique.

tiger1.jpg

It's been the 21st here for 20 hours already ;). I've been waiting patiently.
This is my Lavender and Liquorice Soap - with Lavender and Anise EOs. Activated charcoal to make the black part and purple mica for the purple part. I used a down-the-side pour with the mold elevated along one side.
Top after pouring:
IMG_1016.jpeg
Side after unmolding:
IMG_1019.jpeg
Entry Pic:
IMG_3530.jpeg

20190509_170723.jpg
First tiger stripe ever!! I soaped this batch cold and poured straight down the middle of the mold, alternating 3 colors. The colorants are activated charcoal, orange mica and titanium dioxide to help the orange pop. These bars are scented with a blend of patchouli essential oil and cocoa fragrance oil, because they just smell amazing together!! The middle bar looks like Chester Cheetah to me!!

Last edited:
My entry is scented with Energy from CC. The colors are from Mad Mica's: Pow Pow Purple, Peacock Blue, The Maniacal Pea, Yellow Raincoat, Tangerine and Voodoo. I have to admit that I lost my mind temporarily and only poured 5 cups of batter. I was so proud of myself for getting all 5 cups so EVEN! I didn't even notice the empty cup at the end of the line :( I didn't realize it until I'd gotten to cup #5 and had two colors left. What to do? I split the last cup of batter and just made my blue and purple that way. Oh well, 'tis the nature of soaping, thinking on the fly. Haha! This soap reminds me of fruit stripe gum, do they even make that any more? :)

IMG_20190519_102718006.jpg

Well, l I made two batches of soap hoping for something to come out after I watched some videos and looked at some pics of tiger stripes. I felt meh about my batch. I tried to do an ombré stripe. This is colored with black walnut hill and scented with a blend of Patchouli EO and Sandalwood FO ... seems like a popular blend. I did a side and straight line pours. My batter was on the thicker side and I didn’t feel like I got much detail. I kinda wish I had put in another color.

My inspiration:
832C6C0F-92B2-47B9-A66D-543F8FBB3EF5.jpg
781264D1-C179-41A0-B36E-AE0F87D2610F.jpg

The whole batch:
47886DD9-C5CC-4A8B-A625-FFEE8DEFD640.jpg

And closeups:
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6712.JPG

Third time's the charm for this one, and despite the running around back n forth, trying to keep the heat in, I like this as far as CP swirl techniques go. Thank you @dibbles!

But... This is a hot processed soap!
IMG_20190524_100433.jpg

I wanted to do thinner lines but it was unusually cool yesterday due to rains and I knew if I attempted it I'd get thicker batter quicker, so I consoled myself repeating in my head "tigers have thick stripes" hahaha.

The soap is a high lard recipe, which I noticed reacts with yogurt better for fluidity, so the vegans won't get a nice swirly soap from me at this point hehehe.. It's colored with cocoa powder (that clumped, sigh) and indigo (yey issonice!) but unscented.

Here's my entry picture
IMG_20190524_100534.jpg

I think I did ok. Thank you again dibbles for this challenge :)

Here's my entry! I tweaked my recipe down to 45% hard oils. I wanted a more Jade green but it's ok how it turned out. I wanted to see if I could create a gold vein to mimic kintsugi pottery, so there are two thin stripes of gold mica mixed with RBO. I would have liked more but was scared that too much wouldn't hold together. So far everything is holding together! I scented with BB Moonstone.
IMG_20190524_100445.jpeg

Here's mine! I designed this soap as a first try for the soap favors I'll be creating for my wedding next fall. The blue, green, and gold are all from Steph's Micas & More and are our wedding colors. :) After I cut it, I decided it needed a little more pizzaz in the gold department, so I painted over the gold areas with a small brush and some gold mica mixed with vodka.
May Challenge Close.jpg

It turned out fantastic and I'm really proud of it, even though the trace was a little thinner than it ought to have been at the start. It's scented in a blend of Champagne from Nurture and Limelight from Bulk Apothecary and it smells DIVINE. Here's my final entry photo! Hope you all like it!
May Challenge Entry.jpg

So here's my last-minute entry as I wasn't going to make soap this month but decided yesterday to join in anyway.
It's a HP cucumber-aloe soap with avocado oil for the superfat. Colored with spiruilina and activated charcoal (still looking for a good natural green colorant). It turned out better than I expected, though I think I'm getting dangerously close to a leopard spot, so I hope this soap is still accepted as a tiger stripe. Maybe I should call it leopard stripe soap[emoji12]

IMG_20190526_101222.jpeg
IMG_20190526_101434.jpeg

Here's my entry even though I'm seriously unhappy with the discoloration! It's scented with Pineapple from FB. My notes say "no A,D,R" so apparently that's a boo boo. It's colored with Platinum Gray (Nurture) & Bright Raincoat (Mad Micas). It's for a baby shower and her nursery colors are gray with various pastel colors. So instead of giving her white or beige soap with gray & yellow, it's brown with muted colors that are hard to see. In the normal scheme of things I wouldn't care overly much but when the colors are specifically requested, it's really annoying! Luckily it's for my niece so she'll forgive the ugliness, lol. I took the first 2 pics the day I cut it, the second 2 pics 2 weeks later.
Pineapple Tiger 01.JPG
Pineapple Tiger 02.JPG
Pineapple Tiger 05.JPG
Pineapple Tiger 06.JPG

Well here is my last minute entry. I haven’t soaped in at least 2 month so it didn’t really turn out how my mind thought it would. I used CP and I either over SB or my fragrance oil was the cause but I almost ended up with SOS! I scented with Natures Oil - April Fresh Downy Oil, and used TD, Aqua Green Oxide by Oregon Trails, and Black Oxide pigment from Bramble Berry. I tried to do a side pour with the mold tilted but it ended up being a side “dump and spread”. I almost gave up but just kept plopping it in and figured, at 10pm... “it is what it is”. No time to try again. The last picture is my entry. I just wanted to show the different steps I did. I will say it smells fantastic! Good luck everyone. The pictures so far are fabulous!

Attachments

• 0269D6A1-08D7-4698-88A1-02A6CD862979.jpeg
    0269D6A1-08D7-4698-88A1-02A6CD862979.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 129F5A39-1B9F-417E-AEA9-1A6A6716E37C.jpeg
    129F5A39-1B9F-417E-AEA9-1A6A6716E37C.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 104
  • CAAF912C-3431-4BC4-9584-912567DEAAC7.jpeg
    CAAF912C-3431-4BC4-9584-912567DEAAC7.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 113
  • FDC49DEA-3B96-46C3-A2F0-05AA3BB36339.jpeg
    FDC49DEA-3B96-46C3-A2F0-05AA3BB36339.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 117
Thank you, dibbles, for this challenge. It gave me the opportunity to coordinate my photography, colors, discoloring Fragrance Oils and development of my skills in this technique, as well as choice of recipes to obtain different results with the Tiger Stripe swirl. I particularly enjoyed trying two completely different types of recipes to obtain completely different results. And my attempts to match colors to my inspiration photograph using micas and discoloring FOs was fun, too.

The soap I am entering is scented with two different discoloring Fragrance Oils: Dragon's Blood (in the two darker colors) and Tobacco & Bay Leaf (in the two lighter shades). The soap recipe I used for this entry is my vegan-friendly 70% hard oils recipe that contains soy wax, cocoa & shea butters, HO Sunflower & CO. Keeping such a formula fluid enough to create Tiger Stripes throughout the entire pour was surely a challenge all on its own, but I am happy with the result. The colorants I used in the stripes are Black Walnut Powder, Orange Coral, Clementine (Steph's Micas & More), Titanium Dioxide (BB) & a bit of Yellow Vibrance (Nurture Soap) mixed in the the Clementine. As this soap cures, I expect it to darken more, but for now, the colors are pretty close to my photograph. Also on top is some Mad Micas gold shimmery glitter, but it didn't show up well in any of my photos, so I'll have to try again in better light and perhaps after my new tool for beveling arrives.

full

In 2011 we took my granddaughter to the Animal Kingdom at Disney in Orlando, where I took this photograph of one majestic looking tiger. I used this as my inspiration.
full

Back