May 2017 SMF Soap Challenge - fluid acrylic cell pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol DeeAnna, I totally understand .... personally if I would have used soft oils, and not lard, I think mine would have turn out way better.

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that a high lard recipe might be troublesome.

I used my current go-to recipe with 60% lard. The batter was as fluid as heavy cream for well over 20 minutes.

I think the key to having a long working time, regardless of recipe, is to keep the stick blending to an absolute minimum. I'd say I did a total of 3 seconds of SB'ing, tops, per batch. It is SO tempting to buzz the soap more than this, but I force myself to stop when the time is up.

In fact this fluidity was one of the problems I had when making the cells -- it needed to be a little thicker to do the in-the-pot swirl as shown in the video for this technique. All I was getting was a muddy mess rather than nicely defined ribbons and swirls. I ended up doing mini versions of in-the-pot swirls using a large soup spoon as my "pot". I added the various colors to the spoon and poured the cells from the spoon. It worked out reasonably well.

I did not put any fragrance into the batter I used for the cells and the swirly top layer just to be on the safe side. My batter temps ranged from 95 F to 110 F -- warm enough to melt the lard fully.

Coconut Oil ... 15.0%
Sunflower high oleic ... 25.0%
Lard ... 60.0%

3% superfat
33% lye concentration
dual lye -- 95% NaOH and 5% KOH
distilled water as the only water-based liquid

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!

2. Newbie-love me some new techniques

3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!

4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.

5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !

6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in

7. Mommycarlson - this is way above my paygrade, but I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in! I think......

8. DeeAnna -- Okay, now I'm ~really~ curious.

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!! ;)

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that a high lard recipe might be troublesome.

I used my current go-to recipe with 60% lard. The batter was as fluid as heavy cream for well over 20 minutes.

I think the key to having a long working time, regardless of recipe, is to keep the stick blending to an absolute minimum. I'd say I did a total of 3 seconds of SB'ing, tops, per batch. It is SO tempting to buzz the soap more than this, but I force myself to stop when the time is up.

In fact this fluidity was one of the problems I had when making the cells -- it needed to be a little thicker to do the in-the-pot swirl as shown in the video for this technique. All I was getting was a muddy mess rather than nicely defined ribbons and swirls. I ended up doing mini versions of in-the-pot swirls using a large soup spoon as my "pot". I added the various colors to the spoon and poured the cells from the spoon. It worked out reasonably well.

I did not put any fragrance into the batter I used for the cells and the swirly top layer just to be on the safe side. My batter temps ranged from 95 F to 110 F -- warm enough to melt the lard fully.

Coconut Oil ... 15.0%
Sunflower high oleic ... 25.0%
Lard ... 60.0%

3% superfat
33% lye concentration
dual lye -- 95% NaOH and 5% KOH
distilled water as the only water-based liquid

Thank you DeAnna, I did not scent my cells either. You describe exactly what happened to me, so I really appreciate your explanation. Gives me courage to maybe make some cells tonight again if I have time, and have another crack at it.

I'm really sad that I haven't had chance to have a go at this yet. My uncle unexpectedly died and I had to go to Manchester to be with my family. His funeral was on Tuesday so I am finally starting to get back to normal. I really hope I have time in the week to have a go. I need to go and check the closing date, fingers crossed! I have made my own video for next month's challenge though so we won't be without one. I'm so sorry for not entering so far KC as it's your first challenge and I really wanted to support you :(

I'm really sad that I haven't had chance to have a go at this yet. My uncle unexpectedly died and I had to go to Manchester to be with my family. His funeral was on Tuesday so I am finally starting to get back to normal. I really hope I have time in the week to have a go. I need to go and check the closing date, fingers crossed! I have made my own video for next month's challenge though so we won't be without one. I'm so sorry for not entering so far KC as it's your first challenge and I really wanted to support you :(

No problem Saponista. Take care of your family first. I think the was a bit ambitious for my first challenge, but I love the technique. It really seems easy to me, I think many of the swirls are much more difficult than this.

Saponista -- Warm wishes to you and your family. A death of a family member or friend is always rough, but I think it's especially difficult when unexpected. I'm glad your life is getting back closer to normal.

KCHaystack -- I find myself thinking of ways to use the "paint swirl" technique without the faux cells -- I was sooo tempted to stop with the swirl when I did my challenge soap! I think if there was a way to do the cells right when the main soap is poured (like the painters are doing with their acrylic paints), the idea of cells might be more appealing to me. I'll admit my skepticism may well be due to my inexperience -- things like this usually seem harder to a newbie than to an experienced person. All that said, I'm glad you created this challenge and I'm glad I did it. I have learned a lot from the challenges I've participated in, and this one more than most. THANK YOU!

PS -- you shared the other day that your nickname is Haystack. I have been calling you KC for convenience in typing, but I now realize it would be polite to check with you -- Would you prefer to be called KC or Haystack or KCHaystack?

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!

2. Newbie-love me some new techniques

3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!

4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.

5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !

6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in

7. Mommycarlson - this is way above my paygrade, but I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in! I think......

8. DeeAnna -- Okay, now I'm ~really~ curious.

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!! ;)

10. earlene - If I find motivation in the next couple of days, I will join y'all. I got pretty sick on our recent roadtrip and recovery has been slow-going.

KCHaystack -- I find myself thinking of ways to use the "paint swirl" technique without the faux cells -- I was sooo tempted to stop with the swirl when I did my challenge soap! I think if there was a way to do the cells right when the main soap is poured (like the painters are doing with their acrylic paints), the idea of cells might be more appealing to me. I'll admit my skepticism may well be due to my inexperience -- things like this usually seem harder to a newbie than to an experienced person. All that said, I'm glad you created this challenge and I'm glad I did it. I have learned a lot from the challenges I've participated in, and this one more than most. THANK YOU!

You are welcome. I agree just pouring the top layer is really cool. It is a fairly easy way of getting an intricate design - especially if you have a fast moving FO. You just pour a base with the naughty FO - not color or anything, and then come back with a smaller batch of scented soap and decorate.

PS -- you shared the other day that your nickname is Haystack. I have been calling you KC for convenience in typing, but I now realize it would be polite to check with you -- Would you prefer to be called KC or Haystack or KCHaystack?

Ok its ok - most of the people I have dealt with online shorten it to KC. Or my MMO buddies call me by my main character name. I have been called much worse things, which i deserved, and answered to them.

That's exactly what I did with my challenge soap -- I tried my new NG Honeysuckle FO in the plain bottom layer. Worked perfect!

KC it is, then. Thank you!

I'm Dee to my family, and I shorten it even more sometimes to just D, so everyone feel free to do likewise.

I had to try the technique with MP. It took me a while to figure out the best way. My cells came out cool. This week I will try with CP, and then decided which one I like better.

Thought I share little owls I made with the technique, although I think I went a little crazy on too much color! :)

psicodelic%20owls%200517%202_zpsvmgu6gbq.jpg

These are so darling. I've never done mandp in this technique but I imagine it takes a certain temperature to pour and to avoid the colors combining. Is that right?

Ok you talked me into it! I'll give this a go as I just love the videos and the beautiful artistic soaps. Can I be number 11? Idon't know which post to put my name on! DeeAnna you got me with your challenge of the honeysuckle scent. I have it and have been chicken to use it!

Sopanista so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sending loving and heartfelt wishes to you and to your family.

:headbanging:

Sorry ladiezz and gents I don't have enough posts to join this time around

You can still make the soap, even if you can't enter it. I went back to a couple of past challenges when I first joined because I wanted to learn the techniques and found the challenge threads so helpful.

If you do make the soap, I hope you share your experience, too.

There are some awfully nice entries in the Challenge Entry thread!!! http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=647649

I think Dibbles 100% nailed the look of agates for the cells. I love the soft water-color-y feel of the swirl layer as a contrast to the textured "agates."
I definitely get the sense of Tattooine from Artemis' entry, although if I hadn't learned about this theme, I would have imagined sand dunes along the ocean on a planet with multiple moons.
Mommycarlson's entry feels to me like planets spinning through space -- lots of movement and vibrant contrast.
The cells in BattleGnome's soap look like pale flower petals that have fallen on water. It's really cool how I can see through the translucent "petals" to the underlying colored soap.
In Newbie's entry, I can see heavy clouds rolling and roiling over my head before a major rainstorm, but I can also see this as flowing, rippling water at dusk, or molten metal being poured for some mysterious ritual or magical device.

Latest posts

Back