Making color dusty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Any idea how to make a custom mica mix dusty? Particularly a pinky purple shade?
It came out pretty good but I'd still like it a bit more muted. Maybe more grey?

These are the best photos until I'm able to unmold

Attachments

• 20220304_113946.jpg
    20220304_113946.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220304_113923.jpg
    20220304_113923.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 15
Do you want it darker? Or lighter? If darker, perhaps a small amount of light green, (it’s complimentary color) if lighter, more white.
Neither but if I had to pick, it would be lighter. I don't want to change the color, just mute it

An absolute titch of charcoal?? And not too generous with the colour itself so that it remains muted by the main batter.
I wondered about charcoal, I was eyeballing it when I was mixing this color. I just worried it would make it too dark.
Considering I used the pink in a white base, the charcoal very well could have done the trick.

Neither but if I had to pick, it would be lighter. I don't want to change the color, just mute it
The complementary color (in a color wheel) could neutralize it some. I cannot find the original link to the picture, but if you go here, and scroll down, there is a chart where you can see what happens to red (closest thing to pink) when adding white or when adding green to it.

Any idea how to make a custom mica mix dusty? Particularly a pinky purple shade?
It came out pretty good but I'd still like it a bit more muted. Maybe more grey?
Umbra. Neutral pigments like white/grey/black blend into colours to give them a dirty, cold look. And you aren't always in control of the opacity. Generations of art teachers recommend umbra as the pigment of choice to “break” a paint, i. e. tone down its brilliance, with less weird colour shifts.

Umbra. Neutral pigments like white/grey/black blend into colours to give them a dirty, cold look. And you aren't always in control of the opacity. Generations of art teachers recommend umbra as the pigment of choice to “break” a paint, i. e. tone down its brilliance, with less weird colour shifts.

Google came back with a ton of different colors, from reddish brown to greyish brown. I'd assume its the greyish brown I'd need?

Yes. In my conception, it was burnt umber (leaving a Kremer link here, in the hope you don't make mischief with it), which is the strongest and most neutral shade, but others might be at least as appropriate for toning down special colour ranges. I'm not that deep into an oil painter's practice to tell you all the different types ex tempore.

Back