Lye Solution Problem??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquarius

Reaction score
Hi I made two batches of CP yesterday and when I mixed my lye solution there was white pieces looking like snowflakes floating on the top. So far my lye solution was always clear like normal water... Is this normal or is it dangerous that this lye does not react with water and how will it react whit the oils??

I made the batch anyways...do you think it will be ok?

Did someone experience the same problem...and why is this happening, did the lye go bad, because i don't think the solution is too strong there is 725g of distilled water and 295g of NaOH.

Any ideas ?

It's relatively normal, happened often to me. Lye sometimes does have impurities.

Yes, your batch will be ok, what I do sometimes when lye has impurities is slightly lower the superfat, by 1-2%.

I used to get floaties but the batches turned out fine. I was told it could be soap residue from washing out the lye container. I stopped getting them once I started to wash out the container with Dawn and occasionally running it through the dishwasher.

However, it could be the lye.

I found some discussions about it but I'm sure there are more if you want to search.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30480
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31854
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25003

I run my lye solution through a fine mesh stainless steel tea strainer when I pour it into my oils. Any floaties get left behind.

judymoody said:
I run my lye solution through a fine mesh stainless steel tea strainer when I pour it into my oils. Any floaties get left behind.

That's what I do, too.

I just wanted to add a note that I have filed away in my collection of soaping notes- undissolved lye will normally sink to the bottom of water. If you see things floating on top of the water, it is usually an impurity of some kind- most likely soap residue from washing out the container as what Hazel said.

IrishLass :)

Ive had this happen also and was concerned that the lye was possibly dissolving the plastic container i was mixing it in.

It is really rare for lye to go bad. Even if it there are lumps in the lye it is still okay, just break down the lumps. I have floaters in my lye solution from my raw silk and sometimes my powdered aloe vera which I didn't get mixed it well enough. No biggie... :wink:

Hmmm... I have started making a master batch lye solution, but I make mine 50/50 strength, and it is cloudy when I pour it (it has never been clear). I measure everything and always end up a wee bit light on the water due to evaporation so I make sure to add that back (per the guidance of IrishLass, thank you again). Should it be clear at that strength?

My 50/50 solution is as clear as a bell. I add extra water to mine up front now that I now how much evaporates off while mixing (I still weigh before and after to make sure, though), and I also pour it through a strainer when transferring to my storage container. I find that if you add silk it can tend to get slightly cloudy.

IrishLass :)

Back