Lye Clumps :shock:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oops...got in a hurry and poured my water into lye...didn't explode, so I thought I was golden. Went to pour the mixture into my oils and a huge clump of caked lye came out into the oils. I blended for a long time and think I got all the clumps broken up. Will it likely saponify or should I throw it out? What signs should I look for that it's not ok? It was a small batch to try my Dalmation spot idea (which I think worked pretty well), so no big loss if I toss it. I do want to see how it looks even if I don't keep it.

Inspect it real careful when you cut into it. If you see any clumps of crystalization within the soap I would probably rebatch it. I hope it works out for you though! Im excited to see it! I always strain my lye because you just never know what might go plopping into your soap batter lol!

I must be missing something here so please be kind. If you have water which is clear, wouldn't you be able to see any undisolved lye?:confused: If you were using milk I can see how you might miss completely disolving the lye. So glad to hear you didn't have an explosion!! Hope you were wearing your safety protection!!! 8)

I love this site always keeps me learning!

I must be missing something here so please be kind. If you have water which is clear, wouldn't you be able to see any undisolved lye?:confused: If you were using milk I can see how you might miss completely disolving the lye. So glad to hear you didn't have an explosion!! Hope you were wearing your safety protection!!! 8)

One would think but the white was sitting in a disk on the bottom of my plastic cup. I thought the bottom felt gritty when I was stirring it, but it never downed on me that lye was down there. I was cooling the lye water in a ice bath to speed things up. I think for the future, I will mix lye at room temp and just wait for it to cool on its own.

I'll look at it tomorrow, but will likely discard it. I'm not even sure I trust it in a rebatch. Would hat give a loved one a lye burn from an undissolved clump. One way or the other, I'll post pics as a learning experience for all.

I don't know about DW but I mix my lye in a white container. Hardened lye is white. I actually got some kind of lye build up in the bottom of it and it decided to chunk out one day and I thought it was the bottom of my container cracking and breaking into the water :shock:
that day was a comedy of errors I had to (safely) pour out and remeasure my lye 3 times.

What do you strain it through?
I just use a plain ol strainer, the metal kind with the fine mesh. (dollar store)It sits right on top my bowl of oils and I pour the lye olution right through it. Everytime it catches a small amount of undisolved bits.

I just use a plain ol strainer, the metal kind with the fine mesh. (dollar store)It sits right on top my bowl of oils and I pour the lye olution right through it. Everytime it catches a small amount of undisolved bits.

I started doing that because i found that even when i was mixing my lye with plain water there would sometimes be some clouding floating at the top of the lye/water so i strain it to get what ever that stuff is out!

I started doing that because i found that even when i was mixing my lye with plain water there would sometimes be some clouding floating at the top of the lye/water so i strain it to get what ever that stuff is out!
Me too! I find that everytime I concentrate the lye water (by taking away 50% of the water and using milk in its place to add later) I get that floaty white stuff. The strainer works great in keeping it out of my soap!

Oh I understand now. I use a stainless steel bowl so I am able to visualize the bottom as long as I am using water, not milk. Love this sight and the sharing of ideas!!

Latest posts

Back