Lush

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never actually gone into the store , I walked up to it and got a headache from the overpowering scent overload , couldn't go in . I have studied them online though. Interesting marketing I find.

Kitn

their body and face creams are to die for though! way way way to expensive but a wonderful product

The thing with Lush scents is that because your nose smells everything in the shop it is hard to smell individual products. When I worked there we used to get testers home so we could know about the products, and I have to say that EVERY smell smells better out of the shop and not as pungent. There sre some Lush scents that I really can't be bothered with and some I just love, all personal taste! I have hardly been in since I left though, their ultrabland is a fantastic product, pricey when I have most of ingredients at home tho, haven't made one yet, will try to at one point I'm sure!

I have heard that they are m&p, is this true? I also have a friend who ordered from them, she got her box and 90% of the stuff was crumbled, broken or melted ;( They did not wrap the products well and it just looked VERY unprofessional in my opinion, needless to say she has commited to purchasing my soaps and bombs in 4 weeks when they cure ;) Overall, with all of the research I have done on Lush, not impressed.

Personally I have never been in a Lush store but you are not alone in your assesment. As far as being overwhelmed by the fragrances I wonder that they do not provide customers with a few coffee beans to clear the olfactory palate between sniffs.

And they make a big deal out of not using Palm. I understand the reasons but think that if they used a sustainable palm and played that up it would be a great way to help that industry and the native workers who make their living by it. I wish I could afford the sustainable palm but instead of greatlly reduced the amount of palm I do use.

And every oil we use has some kind of environmental impact whether from the loss of habitat or from the petroleum used in shipping the durn stuff over here. But our impact is so way smaller then the big boys and we produce such a great product I think we can keep the sack cloth and ashes in the closet.

I've never been into a lush store, but I have received some lush products as a gift. They were nice. I didn't buy them again for myself because they were somewhat pricey, but I can see why they are successful. I forget what fragrances I received (this was 2-3 years ago), but I remember they were very strong (which I personally like)

From other threads, I gather their soap is some combo between m&p and rebatch. I don't know much about their other products.

Be careful where this thread goes.

I would not like to see a thread started that says "Went to Tabitha's shop today & was not impressed."

They may not be members here but deserve respect & kudos for making a name for themsleves.

You do not have to like the product but be nice.

They are not fair game just because they have made it big.

Tabitha said:
Be careful where this thread goes.

I would not like to see a thread started that says "Went to Tabitha's shop today & was not impressed."

They may not be members here but deserve respect & kudos for making a name for themsleves.

You do not have to like the product but be nice.

They are not fair game just because they have made it big.

I certainly respect them for making a name for themselves. I was not trying to be rude or malicious, I was stating what I observed and nothing more. I have respect for all and would not try to hurt anyone.

I certainly respect them for making a name for themselves. I was not trying to be rude or malicious, I was stating what I observed and nothing more. I have respect for all and would not try to hurt anyone.

I just meant my comment to be a heads up. We get a new Lush thread here about every 6 months & some people can get really nasty. I just wanted to make sure that did not hapen this time.

I've only tried their bath bombs and bubble bars and didn't like the smells. Too perfumey and strong for me. However, they float and whirl and look cool and are generally fun and awesome. Too pricey for me though. Highway effing robbery, to be more blunt. Obviously, many dont agree since they sell like hotcakes....

ChrissyB said:
Interesting that hardly anybody likes their products, yet they are the one name we can all recount as having "made it".

Right, a whole lot of someone's like them, or they would not be in biz to the degree that they are :wink: .

Tabitha, I mean no disrespect with this thread and I don't think anyone who wrote a reply does either. Perhaps what one reader says is true, that the fragrances don't represent themselves well in the store, but when sniffed away from the others, smell nice. Perhaps that's true and I will find out someday, as I do believe that the scrubs are nice and just maybe there are things from them that I need to take a second look at.

Nobody is here to launch an attack on someone's business or livelihood. However, they are a big company and just because they sell soap and some of you do, too, it doesn't mean opinions don't exist. I guess what I take away from your response is that it's ok to have an opinion but don't bring it here and don't discuss it.

Just curious about what you found so offensive.

This business has been mentioned several times in other threads and others who have voiced their opinions on their products. This isn't new to this forum. It's just opinion.

As a moderator, please feel free to delete the thread if it's that disturbing to you. I am not here to create friction. I'm here to learn the craft/hobby and to dialogue with other soapers to learn and be safe.

Again, no disrespect intended to anyone. Seriously.

What was offensive? Was it because I said I thought the packaging was unprofessional and I was not impressed? Those statements are my opinion and my opinion only. I was not trying to be nasty. Just stating my opinion.

bconrade884 said:
What was offensive? Was it because I said I thought the packaging was unprofessional and I was not impressed? Those statements are my opinion and my opinion only. I was not trying to be nasty. Just stating my opinion.

no one was being offensive or has said anything offensive. it was a warning to not let the convo turn into a LUSH-BASHING.

I have never been in a lusk store, but I have to respect them for what they are doing. As someone who is in the business of selling Soap, Bath & Body products it's interesting to look at Lush, see what they're doing because it works. It's always easy to be critical of a product when it's made by Big Business but that someone started out jkust like you and me. I would love to have a coffee with the person who started Lush so I could pick their brain. I have no intention of being a big store, nor do I wish to create franchises, but some do and it is heartwarming to see a success story of this magnitude.....now if I could just meet that person for a coffee and learn from them......

On a brighter note, I LOVE Lush's names for their products. They are very unique. Enough said bout Lush by me :D

Like krissy said, it was just a heads up to please don't let the convo go south.

However if the thread had started out "Have you tried jarvan's soap? I don't see what the big deal is, I don't like 90% of her fragrances, I am not impressed with her items." I think someone would have been calling foul.

I always pop into the Lush store at the supermarket where I go grocery shopping, to see what's new and get inspired. I am lucky in that my sense of smell is somewhat dull so I don't get overpowered :wink: My DD loves their bath bombs and I get her one as a treat several times a year. It was after trying Lush's soap that I began to be interested in the idea of making my own soap (originally with M&P, now with CP). I am sensitive to SLS and find their soaps that I have tried make my skin feel dry and a little itchy, but my kids love the bombs.

P.S: I haven't bought their soap since I started making my own, but their bath bombs are fair game.....I'm not too good at making those :D

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back