Lumpy coconut milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I use coconut cream in the can I soap with 50/50 lye solution and add in the coconut cream with the oils then slowly add in the lye
This is what I do exactly as well. I never had luck with lye in the milk. With 50/50 method my soaps are always nice and creamy.

This is what I do exactly as well. I never had luck with lye in the milk. With 50/50 method my soaps are always nice and creamy.

^^^
my fave method as well for soaping with milks. i just hate the whole process of freezing and mixing the lye bit by bit. and if you use powdered milks, you can do what IrishLass said, that is make a heavily concentrated concoction the end result is the same as doing a full water swap.

I also prefer using a strong lye/water solution and then adding the coconut milk to my oils. Because the coconut milk gets so sludge-like, it's difficult to verify that all of the lye has dissolved. Better safe than sorry!

Coconut Milk Soaps - Guar Gum

I just went to the health food store, and the only coconut milk they had contains guar gum. I have read on this forum that the additive will speed up trace. I am wondering if someone who has used CM with GG can tell me if I should cease and desist (LOL!!!). If so, where do I get CM without additives without having to split my own coconuts and making my own? Did it really trace or seize so bad that it was unusable? My intention is to do a partial water swap with the lye solution, and add the CM to the oils.
Thanks for any advice? The more I read, the more I get confused and a tad nervous. I have only had 1 batch that really failed on me, and even then, I think I could have salvaged it, if I had known how to rebatch at the time.

I have made two coconut milk soaps so far, I used 100% coconut milk, and my can contained guar gum too, frozen into cubes, and while the milk and lye got pretty thick and I had to scrape it into the oils it ended up just fine. Nice bars actually.

Latest posts

Back