Lower 48 Patch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason for sadface! It is legal to pack up to 68 fluid ounces of perfumes or other hazardous toiletry or medicinal items in checked luggage. EOs and FOs fit those categories nicely. Just need to make sure no one container exceeds 17 fl oz. Here's the FAA flyer:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf

I tested this last winter, when I returned from my Florida vacation loaded up with goodies from Essential Deopot. I had no problems at all.

I have a pretty realistic FO from Soapalooza that is spot on, too. It is called Wicked Ganja and was about $13 for 4 ounces. I've soaped it once without no acceleration or discoloration. I'm saving the rest to blend with the patch!

I think I got carry on confused - like 3 oz or so. However! I was coming back from Sicily and they confiscated a bottle of Balsamic, 3 bottles of wine and some Olive oil. *sadface*

I've tried a lot of patches over the years and the best patch I've found is from www.AV-AT.com, better than NDA's and EOU's now called The Perfumery.

Even at wholesale prices AV isn't the cheapest but it is the best, to my nose anyway. Cheaper stuff comes closer if it's put aside for 5-6 years to age, one reason for discrepancy in prices.

In with Sage, I use AV-AT.com. Did a TON of research looking for quality and in my book they win. Not as sure about pricing (haven't compared them recently) but I love their dark Indonesian patchouli.

AV's patch (bulk pricing) is $70.50 for 16 oz for the dark Indonesia organic steam-distilled. Buy as much as you can and let it get even better by aging several years. It gets stronger so you use less. Really, I have not been impressed by anyone else's.

If you have lotsa money, buy the superb Indian patch at $90 for 8 oz ($153 for 16 oz)... more for perfumery than soaping at those prices, but exquisite. I buy a half ounce for $10, just for me to whiff OOB and for perfumes.... makes me swoon. :)http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

AV's patch sounds intriguing even if a little more expensive. $20 extra isn't that much more when you consider how long this would last for me. But the most I see online for sale is 20 ml. I may have to call them to see what the scoop is. As for the Indian patch, I must live vicariously through your nose sagehill, as that's a little too rich for my blood :crazy:

If you go for a dark patch I would order again from Fragrance Laboratory. I am sitting here smelling the soap I poured and it is quite nice. It is a little sharper less smokey than my original aged dark patch but still nice

Wow, not only is the price of Fragrance Lab's product great, but their shipping is awesome. Just $7 and 2 days to South Dakota, plus they would send it right away. Oh my, I never dreamed life could be so good! Do you guys get these fabulous shipping deals all the time?? :shock:

I think I got carry on confused - like 3 oz or so. However! I was coming back from Sicily and they confiscated a bottle of Balsamic, 3 bottles of wine and some Olive oil. *sadface*
Oh, that hurts, I'm so sorry goji! Can't decide which of these would be worst but I'm thinking the basalmic vinegar. It's such a gamble to pack liquids in your luggage; why can't we just take it on board?!!

AV's patch sounds intriguing even if a little more expensive. But the most I see online for sale is 20 ml. I may have to call them to see what the scoop is. As for the Indian patch, I must live vicariously through your nose sagehill, as that's a little too rich for my blood
icon_crazy.gif
You have to email AV and get the password for the bulk pricing. Tell them you're a soapmaker, they'll give it to you readily. When you get the password, check out their other EO prices. .. you'll find they're usually competitive with other companies; plus they have special kinds too. Best of all, they have no minimum, and shipping is usually actual cost.

Ah, the excellent India patch is never used for soaping!! It's just for sniffing and some perfumery here and there. So, 1/2 ounce at $10 lasts me 3-4 years, quite affordable. It's my little EO luxury, and far cheaper than the same amount of real sandalwood. :)

Jenny

Thanks for the password tip, sagehill, I have sent them a message. Might have to check out that Indian patch just to see the difference. It has my curiosity! Funny how that happens *sigh*

AV's uses USPS flat rate shipping, even up here, so shipping with them is never really a concern for me.

Yep, I've been buying from AV for 15 years. Two years ago, I found two 1 oz bottles of patchouli, one from Camden Grey and one from Liberty Naturals, bought 12-13 years ago, that had got shoved to the back of a closet, probably because I discovered AV's, LOL!

Having been set aside for so long, you'd think they'd be absolutely scrumptious, since patchouli is one of the very few EOs that improve with age. I opened them up and compared them with AV patch that was only four years old.

Even after a dozen years, they were pale, barely gold, thin in texture and sharp-smelling, while AV's was brown, thick, nearly gooey, and swooningly rich. I almost can't bear to use it for soap. LOL!

The comparison convinced me to keep soaping with AV's dark Indonesian, despite the higher price. To cover the cost, I charge extra for patchouli-heavy soaps, and no one has ever complained about the price. Patchouli lovers want the good stuff and can tell the difference.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I have tried many Patchouli's and so far Fragrance Labs Dark Indonesian is second best my normal Dark aged patch being #1. Patchouli does not last me long since I have a lot of customers that only purchase patchouli

AV's uses USPS flat rate shipping, even up here, so shipping with them is never really a concern for me.

Flat rate to AK! So the flashpoint isn't too low? It is on some others I looked up so this is great, solves the problem completely. I really need to build a spreadsheet to keep track of which companies will ship up here reasonably (or at all). Seems like every time I want to order something I spend a ton of time researching best prices just to figure out it's cost prohibitive (or not possible) to ship. Or the vendors make you create an account before you can even see shipping costs. Just seems easier to intercept a shipment while I'm down south. But that's got drawbacks too so I really appreciate this little tidbit! Are there other products you recommend from them?

I have tried many Patchouli's and so far Fragrance Labs Dark Indonesian is second best my normal Dark aged patch being #1. Patchouli does not last me long since I have a lot of customers that only purchase patchouli
cmzaha, you like the Fragrance Lab patch much better now than you did originally / OOB? That's great to know at $50. Pretty hard to beat that price.

Well, I'm all patched up. Received my shipment from AV-AT (right to my doorstep!). It has pretty strong undertones OOB, but the little bit that got on my hands smells fabulous. Can't wait to soap with it!

Back