Lotion Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone make larger batches of lotion as a base and then add scent as needed to just a portion at a time? If so, on thicker lotions do you store it in something squeezable so you can easily fill bottles?

I just started making lotions recently with the DIY lotion recipe. You dilute it to think thickness desired and add FO to whatever batch size you need. The base concentrate is really thick and hard so I can’t imagine being able to squeeze it out of anything.

Thanks! No problem with adding scent later?
It's a base, no liquid in it. The texture of it kind of reminds me of bacon fat when you refrigerate it. When you want to make lotion, you scoop out what you need for the batch, and add boiling water, along with the remainder of the ingredients, including fragrance and additives. Each batch is made separately from that base. And, it can be made as thick or as runny as desired by changing the percentage of the liquid added or the base used.

I just started making lotions recently with the DIY lotion recipe. You dilute it to think thickness desired and add FO to whatever batch size you need. The base concentrate is really thick and hard so I can’t imagine being able to squeeze it out of anything.

It's a base, no liquid in it. The texture of it kind of reminds me of bacon fat when you refrigerate it. When you want to make lotion, you scoop out what you need for the batch, and add boiling water, along with the remainder of the ingredients, including fragrance and additives. Each batch is made separately from that base. And, it can be made as thick or as runny as desired by changing the percentage of the liquid added or the base used.

Oh, ok. Got it. Sounds like you both use the same recipe. I have several from DIY Bath and Body, but I seem to have missed that one. Might have to go check it out. :)
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

@Kcryss I believe what you are calling “base” is a premade lotion, which you later scent and color as desired. WSP and others sell this as “lotion base.” Yes, you could make that yourself, but the preservative clock starts ticking as soon as you have added the water.

What we are calling “base” is a mixture of fats and an emulsifier, with no added water. Storing it that way helps it stay fresh longer bc it doesn’t have any water in it. This “base” requires melting, heating, adding hot water - still only about half of the total lotion-making process. Although not as fast as making an entire large batch of lotion at once, it does save some time because half the work is done. That makes it easy to create your desired batch size very quickly.

I believe the DIY recipe is called “cream and lotion concentrate,” or something like that.

Last edited:
@Kcryss I believe what you are calling “base” is a premade lotion, which you later scent and color as desired. WSP and others sell this as “lotion base.” Yes, you could make that yourself, but the preservative clock starts ticking as soon as you have added the water.

What we are calling “base” is a mixture of fats and an emulsifier, with no added water. Storing it that way helps it stay fresh longer bc it doesn’t have any water in it. This “base” requires melting, heating, adding hot water - still only about half of the total lotion-making process. Although not as fast as making an entire large batch of lotion at once, it does save some time because half the work is done. That makes it easy to create your desired batch size very quickly.

I believe the DIY recipe is called “cream and lotion concentrate,” or something like that.
Yes and no, I was thinking more of a making a base - like the premade bases they sell, but with the ingredients I like, not what they like. lol
I like the idea of making ahead and just adding scent etc., but the base from DIY sounds like it would still be a time saver and provide the ability to make very small quantities as needed.
I did check out the ingredients needed and the main one is something I don't use. I use Ecomulse from Lotioncrafter instead of Emulsifying Wax. I assume that would be an ok substitute and yes, I'll probably buy it. Seems I always get more than one at a time to get the discount. lol

I did understand that you were wanting to make your own "base" in the sense that the word "base" is used by WSP, and I was pretty sure you understood the responses about that, as well. :)

But I wasn't sure it was clear to other readers that those of us recommending the DIY recipe were using the word "base" in a very different way. So, thank you for humoring me while I clarified that bit. ;)

I haven't tried Ecomulse, and would love to learn more. What do you like about it over E-wax?

Last edited:
I did understand that you were wanting to make your own "base" in the sense that WSP uses for the "base" that they sell, and I was pretty sure you understood the responses, as well. :)

But I wasn't sure it was clear to other readers that those of us recommending the DIY recipe were using the word "base" in a very different way. So, thank you for humoring me while I clarified that bit. ;)

I haven't tried Ecomulse, and would love to learn more. What do you like about it over E-wax?
Oh no, I'm sorry. lol, my brain seems to process everything very literally. Sometimes, it processes very literally, but outside the norm for most people. Sometimes, I just need a 2x4 as my dad used to say.

I've never actually used e-wax. When I originally started this journey my goal was to keep everything as natural as possible and Ecomulse fit that bill better than e-wax. I've never had any trouble with Ecomulse so I've never tried anything else.

Latest posts

Back