Lotion help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khclark

Reaction score
I was making a big batch of lotion today and realized I didn't have enough preservative on hand. I had enough for exactly half, so I split it and added the last of my preservative to half of the batch. I covered the other half and set it in the cool garage. I don't know if this is possible, but can I somehow heat the lotion later (tomorrow) and add the preservative then? I wasn't sure if anyone has tried this before or not or if it's even possible. If not, I'll toss it (but that hurts my heart!).

Yes, you can add the preservative into lotion; you don't even have to reheat it. Definitely keep the lotion refrigerated or at least quite cool until you can fix it; I wouldn't wait more than a day.

1. Measure out the right amount of preservative.
2. Add a bit of mica or liquid color to the preservative.
3. Mix some of the lotion into the colored preservative until the mix is evenly colored.
4. Add the colored preservative-lotion mix back into the rest of the batch.
5. Stick-blend it for at least a minute.
6. Check to see that the lotion is evenly colored throughout the batch. If not, keep blending until it is.

Adding color is actually optional, but it provides a nice visual cue to determine if you've mixed everything thoroughly.

Yes, you can add the preservative into lotion; you don't even have to reheat it. Definitely keep the lotion refrigerated or at least quite cool until you can fix it; I wouldn't wait more than a day.

1. Measure out the right amount of preservative.
2. Add a bit of mica or liquid color to the preservative.
3. Mix some of the lotion into the colored preservative until the mix is evenly colored.
4. Add the colored preservative-lotion mix back into the rest of the batch.
5. Stick-blend it for at least a minute.
6. Check to see that the lotion is evenly colored throughout the batch. If not, keep blending until it is.

Adding color is actually optional, but it provides a nice visual cue to determine if you've mixed everything thoroughly.
Awesome, thank you so much! This was exactly what I was wondering. Adding the mica is a clever idea!

I was making a big batch of lotion today and realized I didn't have enough preservative on hand. I had enough for exactly half, so I split it and added the last of my preservative to half of the batch. I covered the other half and set it in the cool garage. I don't know if this is possible, but can I somehow heat the lotion later (tomorrow) and add the preservative then? I wasn't sure if anyone has tried this before or not or if it's even possible. If not, I'll toss it (but that hurts my heart!).
I personally would refrigerate it and would not re-heat it, if it has not preservative. I am so paranoid about lotions, and maybe more than I need to be. Personally, I probably would have tossed it with what we are going through with my daughter and Sepsis.

I have not used a preservative in my magnesium lotion, I only use emulsion wax, stearic acid and vitamin E cream. I have made 2 batches so far and have had to problem at all. The water portion is magnesium brine. I know lots of people that don't use an actual preservative and it's fine. I have ordered a preservative but just wanted you to know that you definitely shouldn't throw it out. Maybe not use it for sale but at least use it up and if that isn't what you want to do do I would definitely reheat it and add preservative to it rather than throw it out. I'm not a professional and don't sell my products but just wanted to give you my opinion on this.

I have not used a preservative in my magnesium lotion, I only use emulsion wax, stearic acid and vitamin E cream. I have made 2 batches so far and have had to problem at all. The water portion is magnesium brine. I know lots of people that don't use an actual preservative and it's fine. I have ordered a preservative but just wanted you to know that you definitely shouldn't throw it out. Maybe not use it for sale but at least use it up and if that isn't what you want to do do I would definitely reheat it and add preservative to it rather than throw it out. I'm not a professional and don't sell my products but just wanted to give you my opinion on this.
Never never make emulsified lotion without preserving them. Bacteria can start growing very quickly in lotions from my studying lotion making. DeeAnna may come in and verify that info. But I actually read it can start growing within 20 minutes in some formulas. Even when I made large batches I cooled down my lotions quickly to 139º F so I could add in my first preservative, then I would relax until cool enough to add in my second preservative. Both were used at max dosage.

I agree with Carolyn, you must use preservative in creams/lotions, way too much water and other bacteria/mold/fungus feeders not to. I wouldn't heat it, either, if nothing else I think it might effect the emulsion. @cmzaha, what two preservatives did you use? I usually use either Phenonip or Optiphen at max usage, but haven't thought of combining preservatives.

I would definitely reheat it and add preservative to it rather than throw it out.
There is no need to reheat a lotion just to add the preservative. In fact, reheating it can break the emulsion and cause any existing bacteria or mold to proliferate very quickly. As noted by several comments above, it is best to keep it refrigerated for a day or two max until the preservative arrives,. Then let it come to room temp and just blend the preservative right in.

You may have used your non-preserved lotion without any ill effects, but that doesn't mean you didn't have bacteria or mold growing in it. The nasty stuff becomes a health threat long before it becomes visible to the eye, or detectable to the nose. If you put that on broken skin, you could end up with a terrible infection.

If you really, really don't want to use a preservative, please make very small batches with extreme attention to sanitation. Then keep them refrigerated and use them up within a week at most. It's still a risk, but at least you will have done all you can to minimize that risk. :)

I agree with Carolyn, you must use preservative in creams/lotions, way too much water and other bacteria/mold/fungus feeders not to. I wouldn't heat it, either, if nothing else I think it might effect the emulsion. @cmzaha, what two preservatives did you use? I usually use either Phenonip or Optiphen at max usage, but haven't thought of combining preservatives.
I used Optiphen Plus and Germall in most of my lotions a max usage for each. One lotion I used Phenonip.

Latest posts

Back