Lotion for black skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safire_6

Reaction score
I have a special request from a friend that has ashy black skin. Does anyone have a recipe or suggestion for oils that would work for her?

Nurses often use products that contain petrolium (vasaline) &/or mineral oil on African Americans with particularly dry skin. Those ingredients are also good for persons w/ diabetes who need special attention paid to the skin on their feet & lower legs.

vasoline and mineral oil are OK... but I would absolutely go with Shea and/or Cocoa butter over that... (love ya Tab ;) ) If you have the money, emu oil is the best...but its costly! so i would stick with shea or cocoa or a mix of both from my experience. Darker skin requires a lot of moisture (more prone to drying out)...but it shouldnt be a real greasy product...

Ive never known my girl to go without it... I swear she travels with Palmers Cocoa Butter wherever she goes...

In keeping in line with holistic, natural, organic product-making, I'd say neither petroleum or mineral oil is acceptable or appropriate for use in alleviating ashy/dry/thirsty melanin-rich skin. In fact, there is extensive research that shows that both of these ingredients are harmful and toxic to the body.

I agree, though, that Shea butter and Cocoa butter are wonderful staples to keep in a brown skinned persons "medicine cabinet;" however, I believe using these alone or even combined will not combat the dryness that melanin-rich skin can endure.

I recommend red Palm oil or Palm kernels, sustainably sourced, of course. Additionally, babassu oil, kokum butter and mango butter *in their natural states and as unrefined as possible* are excellent emollients for melanin-rich skin. Consider adding essential oils like myrrh and frankincense, which aid in providing anti-aging elements to the final product. Win-win!

Hemp seed oil. I was very surprised at how quickly it absorbed! I also love virgin coconut for it's moisturizing, and it's scent. It's a bit greasy so it's great combined with hemp seed. Vitamin E for general skin health and repair.

Did anyone happen to notice the original date of the post? It is from 2009 and no one from the original thread is around anymore. Just a little notation to the all-natural bit, I have problems with many natural products and do very well with vaseline. As refined as the petroleum is I cannot believe it is all that harmful.

Yep, I just replied to the old old post too. :lol:

Latest posts

Back