Help me make my first lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I've had several recent requests to make a lotion. I need a great recipe as I'm aiming to target dry/eczema type skin. I'm all ears for favorite tried and true recipes. I've been looking at Whole Elise's intensive oat lotion and Humblebee and Me's Rose Aloe body lotion. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I looked at both recipes, and here are my thoughts:

1. The Whole Elise recipe contains shea butter, which has an unfortunate habit of going grainy, especially if the lotion goes through any temperature changes. For that reason, it wouldn't be my first pick for something I'd give to someone else. You'd definitely want to make it for yourself first, and see how it holds up over time.

2. The Humblebee and Me recipe looks delightful. The only drawback for me would be the number of expensive ingredients.

If you want to start with something simpler and less expensive, this one from Marie is great, too; I use jojoba oil instead of fractionated coconut oil since that's what my skin prefers. ETA: Meadowfoam seed oil would be another great choice. Pricey but oh so nice!

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it turns out!

I looked at both recipes, and here are my thoughts:

1. The Whole Elise recipe contains shea butter, which has an unfortunate habit of going grainy, especially if the lotion goes through any temperature changes. For that reason, it wouldn't be my first pick for something I'd give to someone else. You'd definitely want to make it for yourself first, and see how it holds up over time.

2. The Humblebee and Me recipe looks delightful. The only drawback for me would be the number of expensive ingredients.

If you want to start with something simpler and less expensive, this one from Marie is great, too; I use jojoba oil instead of fractionated coconut oil since that's what my skin prefers. ETA: Meadowfoam seed oil would be another great choice. Pricey but oh so nice!

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it turns out!
I've read about butters going grainy. I wonder how my store bought intensive lotion keeps from going grainy, then, because shea butter definitely is a featured ingredient.

I've read about butters going grainy. I wonder how my store bought intensive lotion keeps from going grainy, then, because shea butter definitely is a featured ingredient.
They likely use an anti-graininess additive, such as the one suggested by @lsg.

I also like @not_ally's suggestion to substitute mango butter in the place of shea butter - great idea!

I made HB&M’s Lavender Oat Dream Cream, but made some mods based on what I had. It turned out really nice! Here’s what I did differently:
1696809793827.png

@VikingChick Thanks for sharing your subs - so helpful! Did you have any trouble with the shea going grainy? The few lotions I've done with shea have all done that - probably because I keep them at my bathroom sink, where they are exposed to regular fluctuations in temperature and humidity. But if I keep them elsewhere, I never remember to use them. :(

@Servant4Christ I was also wondering if perhaps your store-bought lotion with shea only uses a tiny amount for label appeal. Can you tell from the ingredient list?

Last edited:
@VikingChick Thanks for sharing your subs - so helpful! Did you have any trouble with the shea going grainy? The few lotions I've done with shea have all done that - probably because I keep them at my bathroom sink, where they are exposed to regular fluctuations in temperature and humidity. But if I keep them elsewhere, I never remember to use them. :(

@Servant4Christ I was also wondering if perhaps your store-bought lotion with shea only uses a tiny amount for label appeal. Can you tell from the ingredient list?
I can't tell from the ingredient list because there are soooo many ingredients. Honestly, I cannot use it anymore because I get a temporary burning sensation every time I use it now. It's unscented so I know it isn't fragrance or colorants that are causing this reaction. I see urea as the third ingredient, though, so maybe that's the culprit?

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Urea is normally considered non-irritating and very suitable for sensitive skin. But anything is possible!

Another consideration might be the shea, unfortunately. If you react badly to latex, you can be cross-reactive to shea, mango, avocado, and a few other things not coming to mind at the moment. Can you do a patch test with just a bit of plain shea?

I've found that lots of "unscented" lotions actually contain masking fragrances which are irritating to me. It's one reason I really, really like making my own. Plus it is fun. :) I hope you find a recipe that suits you!

it hasn’t gone grainy for me, but I don’t keep it in the bathroom. This one I keep out in my kitchen/living room area, where I usually use it after washing dishes.
I can't tell from the ingredient list because there are soooo many ingredients. Honestly, I cannot use it anymore because I get a temporary burning sensation every time I use it now. It's unscented so I know it isn't fragrance or colorants that are causing this reaction. I see urea as the third ingredient, though, so maybe that's the culprit?
A while back I made a face lotion and added some sodium lactate as a mild AHA, thinking it would be helpful as an exfoliant as my skin begins that transition into the “aging” category. 😕 I don’t use it much, though, because I’ve found it stings my skin a little. I don’t know if Na lac is something that’s commonly used in commercial lotions, but I do think there are probably other AHAs (or BHAs) in several. Maybe that’s what’s bothering you?

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the shea/latex connection. I do have a sensitivity to latex so I'll definitely have to test that at some point.

As for graininess @AliOop don't you make the concentrate from DIY B&B? I see shea is on the ingredient list. Do your lotions made with that recipe go grainy, too?

Last edited:
I'm late to the game here but just wanted to chime in regarding shea butter in lotions.

I make a lot of lotions and use shea butter in the majority of them (it's part of the base). I've never had a lotion or face/body cream go grainy. Anydrous balms, yes, but never an emulsified cream or lotion. And, as far as the anhydrous balms, I stopped combining coconut oil and shea butter (as per Swift Crafty Monkey), and that has stopped the graininess in those.

Full disclosure, I do use the DIY Bath & Body Lotion Concentrate recipe for most of my creams and lotions (not all).

@Servant4Christ I do use that base, but I switched to using mango instead of shea due to the graininess problem.

Wow, that is such great intel, @Misschief, thank you! My lotions with shea also had fractionated coconut oil in them; I had no idea that could be the problem. I'm very excited that I might be able to still use shea but avoid graininess by subbing out the FCO, rather than buying yet another ingredient to prevent that. Thank you!! 💖

@Servant4Christ I do use that base, but I switched to using mango instead of shea due to the graininess problem.

Wow, that is such great intel, @Misschief, thank you! My lotions with shea also had fractionated coconut oil in them; I had no idea that could be the problem. I'm very excited that I might be able to still use shea but avoid graininess by subbing out the FCO, rather than buying yet another ingredient to prevent that. Thank you!! 💖
For reference: Triglycerides: Why coconut oil & shea butter don’t mix! Part one! – Point of Interest

Latest posts

Back