lotion bars with honey powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
i have been making lotion bars from a recipe I found on this site
2oz beeswax
1oz shea butter
1oz cocoa butter
1oz sweet almond oil
1oz jojoba oil
1/8-1/4oz honey powder
1/8-1/4oz starch
1/8-1/4oz scent
mica
I use 2 oz of shea butter instead of using the cocoa butter and stopped using the mica cuz it sank to the bottom of the bars. when I first started making these I didn't have the honey powder so I used them without it. when I got some honey powder and used it, it sank to the bottom of the container I was melting the bars in--I strained it into the molds. I am wondering what I need to do to get it to dissolve and if I use the honey powder do I need to use a preservative (I have been reading different things on this) also is there anyway of making the mica suspend in the bars. I am on the fence as to whether I want to use mica in a leave on product--but I was using very minimal in it, basically I just want to tint the bars

I would skip the honey powder. I don't see what it brings to the party, except maybe as a humectant. In which case it's attracting moisture that isn't going to be absorbed anyways because you've created a barrier with the wax/oils/butters.

I would skip the honey powder. I don't see what it brings to the party, except maybe as a humectant. In which case it's attracting moisture that isn't going to be absorbed anyways because you've created a barrier with the wax/oils/butters.

thanks that makes sense. so what can I do with the honey powder--mix with water and throw in soap?

Yes, you can mix it with water and use in soap.

If you are into face masks, you could use it for that too. Mixed into plain yogurt and applied to the face for 15 minutes. Makes the skin really soft.
It won't keep though so only make enough for one use.

Back