Losing scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) not adding enough scent. Check the recommended usage rate, I add 1/2 ounce fragrance or essential per pound of soap
2) essential oils are notorious for fading, especially citrus. Five fold orange sticks better than orange EO and I add Listsea Cubica to help the scent stick. I was told clay helped hold the scents but I have not seen that for myself.
3) fragrance oils - stick with a vendor that has proven to have long lasting scents - I love Peak and Crafters Choice
4) Check the fragrance threads, a lot of times fast fading scents are listed by those who have gone before
5) keep experimenting to see what works for you and good luck!

Is it just on the outside or even after it's been used?
I try to use quality FOs, but all of them lose some of the scent after months of curing.
They however regain their scent after few uses when the top layers of soap wash off. More scent is retained towards middle of soap.

I'm a scent fiend lol. I find some scents need almost 1oz per pound of oils of FO or EO. You can use up to one oz per pound of oils. I find that this amount really holds the scent and I've only ever had one batch that didn't have enough scent using this amount.

1oz per pound it what I normally use, however you have to make sure this is not over the recommended usage. I think that sticking power depends more on the quality of the fragrance (and higher price doesn't guarantee that the scent will hold better) I have some fragrance oils that are just as strong after 6 months of cure and others have lost the scent when I cut them.

i normally use 5-6% from total oils. i like strong scents. wrapping your soaps after they cured also helps retain scents, as well as maintaining cleanliness.

Back