Looking for Bergamot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmic

Reaction score
I love the smell of Earl Grey tea and I was really looking forward to making a soap that smelled of it. I bought Nurture's Bergamot and Honey FO and was very disappointed when the bottle arrived because all that I can smell from it is the sweet, almost cloying honey smell with absolutely no trace of bergamot. Which surprised me because people in the reviews on site had raved about what a great scent it was. I promised myself I would at least try it and see if it develops better once soaped but so far haven't been able to actually work up the nerve to use it.

Bergamot EO is quite expensive to get to only have it not work out/fade in my soaps. I'll probably try it at some point once I've played around more but for now, my newbie keister will stick to cheaper versions. Anyone know of any good/true bergamot scents that I should look into?

Actually that price isn't that bad. Thank you! How much you do generally use? And do I need to use anything to anchor it? I know I've seen people say some EO's fade if used alone

Bergamot blends well with Clary Sage, Lavender, Frankincense. I did not notice the scent fading with it, it hold fairly well. I do not use anything to anchor it, but I was thinking to start adding tapioca starch just to give it a try. There was a post recently about it.
Usage: recommended usage is 0.7 oz of Bergamot EO PPO (which is a lot), I use less, especially when in a blend.
I browse this page often to see if something sparks my interest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/398639004502270682/?lp=true
This blend seems very intriguing - Heaven Scent:
Bergamot 4X
Lime 3X
Basil 2X
Peppermint 2X

Maybe try May Chang (Litsea Cubeba) as an anchor? That's pretty cheap for an EO. I've also been using a Bergamot 'Cosmetic Grade' oil - which retains the smell of the EO but doesn't have any 'therapeutic' properties that the EO might have.

Latest posts

Back