Location of "Soap" on Labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything specific. I know that true soap only requires the address, the weight, and the soap identification on the label. Does "Soap" have to be on the front label or can it be on the back? Or even the side?

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing anything about "soap" being on the labels (at least with the FDA's requirements if you are going with the "soap as a cosmetic route"). I'm not sure about the other organization that monitors soap and what is required. Good question. I wouldn't mind an answer either.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Darn.. Means ill have to reconfigure my labels.. I had it designed where it was on the ends of the bar. Ah well. Thank y'all for the answers!

Good timing, I just thought of a related question the other day. If the word "Soapworks" is in the company/brand name on the front of the label, would that suffice? I sometimes struggle to find the physical space for "Soap" on the label. Just a thought?

Interesting question. My company name has soap in it too . But to play devils advocate that doesn't technically identify that product as soap I wouldn't think.

"... If the word "Soapworks" is in the company/brand name on the front of the label, would that suffice?..."

If you want your soap to be considered SOAP in the eyes of the FDA and CPSC, the product name has to include the word. The name of the company is the name of a company. It's not the name of the product.

And what if you ever choose to make non-soap items such as lip balms, body lotions, bath fizzies, etc.? You will have to figure out a way to explicitly label the nature of those products.

"... If the word "Soapworks" is in the company/brand name on the front of the label, would that suffice?..."

If you want your soap to be considered SOAP in the eyes of the FDA and CPSC, the product name has to include the word. The name of the company is the name of a company. It's not the name of the product.

And what if you ever choose to make non-soap items such as lip balms, body lotions, bath fizzies, etc.? You will have to figure out a way to explicitly label the nature of those products.

Good point, DeeAnna...I guess I will fin a way to fit it in :)

I get frustrated, too, Hermanam. Labeling and packaging are not my strong points. :)

Can you not incorporate it in to the product name rather easily? Or is it more of a space issue, making the name longer means making it smaller and all that?

I have been working on a new soap box design. I have a Silhouette Cameo paper die cut machine, which has been fun to play with, but I have spent just about as much time on packaging lately as I have the actual soap! I am really pleased with my design, but I hate having to stick the word "Soap" after the name, because it shrinks my font so much...yes, it is a space issue. I am open to suggestions or layout ideas :)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1393185253.441794.jpg

Thanks, it's been a work in progress for a while, but I enjoy it. The real pain has been that I use different molds, so I have to keep tweaking the dimensions for different batches.

St Louis, hey? Nice design!

I do have to say that if I saw your box with soap sitting out on someone's dining room table, I would not necessarily think there's soap in the box. It could be a scented wax tart, for example. I don't necessarily associate the "soapworks" in the company name with only soap, because I know there are many soapy, bath related items that a "soapworks" could make.

What also could be done is ... shrink the scent font down a little bit. Below the scent name and above the oval cut-out, put a slogan in smaller type yet: "Old fashioned, pure, hand crafted soap" or something like that. If you can make the words follow an arc that matches the arc of the oval, that would emphasize the old-time flavor.

Last edited:
St Louis, hey? Nice design!.

Yep, born and raised. I'm always amazed at how many people don't recognize the arch, so it's nice when someone from outside the region does! Thanks for the feedback and your perspective. It's easy to get tunnel vision when working on something, and I never even considered that someone might not assume this is soap. I will play around with the font and layout and find a way to add it.

It has layers of meaning for me that work really well in a soapy context. Obviously there's the St Louis arch with the river flowing at its base. Also the handle of a pail with the waves symbolizing hot water in the pail ready to be poured into the tub for a Saturday night bath.

PS My husband's hometown is Keokuk, Iowa, just a hop 'n skip north of you.

Last edited:
Oh DeeAnna, that's such a great way of looking at it, too. I hadn't thought of the symbolism of a pail of water. Makes me like my little handmade boxes that much more! :)

Latest posts

Back