Liquid for Re-batch ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I melted down my 20 oz. of scraps on Friday night. It took about 8 tbsp of liquid soap to get it to the consistency I like for plopping in the mold - compared to the 4-5 tbsp water that I usually use....

But if you think about it -- diluted liquid soap is often around 30% pure soap if it's diluted to a honey-thick consistency, with the rest being water. So 8 TBL diluted soap translates to about 5-6 TBL actual water. Not too far off from your usual water amount!

Ugly but functional "Everything but the kitchen sink" soap. If I were to sell this I don't even know how I would label it... View attachment 30173
Hi. I'm not a newbee but hvnt.posted much. i was reading this thread as i hv rebatched and made ugly soap too
I was looking into felting as i think there is a market for felted soap now. your thoughts please .

Felted soap is an interesting curiosity that appeals to people as a gift or splurge purchase, but I personally don't see a big market for it. It's hard to charge enough for the time and materials invested, even if you keep the design simple and use inexpensive materials. In the gift shop that sells my soap, 5-10 bars of regular bar soap sell for every bar of felted soap.

amd, you used the diluted LS not the paste, right? I want to be sure before I start making mine.

Yes, I used the diluted LS.

But if you think about it -- diluted liquid soap is often around 30% pure soap if it's diluted to a honey-thick consistency, with the rest being water. So 8 TBL diluted soap translates to about 5-6 TBL actual water. Not too far off from your usual water amount!

Good point! Although mine was much much thinner than honey. I haven't done the math to see what this dilution rate was yet. I fail at diluting the paste. I'm on try #3 for this particular batch of paste. I just can't get it right, it's either paste thick or water thin. When all my paste is gone I'm going to follow the GLS thread to the freaking letter and see if I can get that one to work.

i take my shavings and scraps and put them in sealed bucket as soon as i cut them, while they are still wet.
then when i am ready, make half a batch of regular soap, and the mix in the scraps and shavings in the fresh batch.
add fragrance
then i make sure the WHOLE batch goes ito full gel phase to integrate the chunks and shavings internally

i make HUGE batches 500 bars at a time, so i have a TON of scraps and shavings to re-incorporate!

I was cleaning the soap lab this weekend and doing a random mental catalog of soaps on the cure rack when I found my rebatch bars shoved in a corner. 56 days seems like a long enough cure, right?! I was really impressed with how hard the soap bar is compared to other rebatchings I have done. Not sure if it is from using well aged soap scraps or the addition of the liquid soap. I lathered up with an end cut and so did my hubby and he really likes it. I would post pics but I haven't gotten the hang of washing my hands and taking pictures at the same time... but I like the lather and feel a bunch. I did decide to add them to the store, not sure how well they will sell, so these will be the only ones I make for now. Sad, because I have started a second bin of soap scraps and still have alot of soap paste...

i take my shavings and scraps and put them in sealed bucket as soon as i cut them, while they are still wet.
then when i am ready, make half a batch of regular soap, and the mix in the scraps and shavings in the fresh batch.
add fragrance
then i make sure the WHOLE batch goes ito full gel phase to integrate the chunks and shavings internally

i make HUGE batches 500 bars at a time, so i have a TON of scraps and shavings to re-incorporate!
You don’t have to be so particular with confetti soap. I make it with soap that is weeks old or months old or years old. It all turns out the same and makes great (excuse the pun) soap.

Hi. i haven't rebatched soap with scraps and liquid paste and i hv both sitying around. But i have rebatched soap. Can you tell me how you made yours?

Hi. i haven't rebatched soap with scraps and liquid paste...

It's not usually called "rebatching" when you add grated or chunked-up old soap to a batch of new soap. I think you'd confuse a lot of soapers! Most of us call it "confetti soap" instead. Penelopejane pretty much said it all about the method of making confetti soap.

Here's an example where I used small cubes of older soap in a batch of newer soap. The tan chunks were added to this soap mainly for visual interest, so I didn't add as much of the older soap as I could have if my goal had been to use up scraps.

As PJ said, I usually add older soap scraps (grated shreds, small chunks, curls, or slices) up to about 1/2 the weight of oils I am using for the new soap. I've tried adding more scraps than that, but I didn't like the results -- it gets difficult to get that much of the older soap thoroughly mixed into the new soap batter. If you can manage to stir it in better than I can, you certainly could add more. It's just not practical for me.

DSC_0008 800.jpg

To fit in the same mold would that mean you would use 3/4 of your regular recipe and then add 1/4 (in weight) scraps? I've made confetti soap just last Christmas and didn't keep notes, now I can't remember what I did. Bad me. Or would that be 1/2 and 1/2? I'm confused

To fit in the same mold would that mean you would use 3/4 of your regular recipe and then add 1/4 (in weight) scraps? I've made confetti soap just last Christmas and didn't keep notes, now I can't remember what I did. Bad me. Or would that be 1/2 and 1/2? I'm confused

I wouldn’t reduce it by that much. It doesn’t take up nearly as much room as you’d expect.
What I do is:
My mold takes 900g oils for my regular recipe.
I make an 800g mix and add 250g grated confetti and it makes the same size bar as the 900g oils recipe. YMMV.

If a mold took 1000g batch of oils and I was adding 150g of confetti I wouldn’t reduce it at all.

Examples of confetti soap from the net:
F4C8D53F-D0E1-4722-A48C-0800C4691617.jpeg B749AF00-DF30-437E-8070-1700288725EE.jpeg 328FF668-5F9D-44F6-9C18-722EB13D136D.jpeg

Last edited:
I found it!!! I did keep notes, I just wasn't looking in the right place. Anyone else get soaper's block? Anyway my normal recipe calls for 5 lbs. oil (80 oz) and I used 3/4 of the batch (60 oz.) and put in 28 oz. scraps. So that's pretty close to what you all have been saying. Next time I'll use 30 oz.

Latest posts

Back