Lingonberry conundrum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camproses

Reaction score
I have been making soap for about 4 years and this year started selling it locally at farmer's markets and to friends and family. We have a local store that specializes in Swedish goods and I came up with an idea to make a lingonberry soap for the store to sell. I approached the owner, who loved the idea, so I purchased dried lingonberry powder. She wants the soap to be all natural, but she already sells all natural soap from another artisan and I am thinking I should go more decorative in order to supply her with something that will stand out more and not directly compete with her current natural line. My idea was to create a shiny red "lingonberry" glaze with clear melt n pour that would sit on top of cold process "cheesecake cupcakes" (I make alot of cupcake soap already). I was thinking maybe using Bergamot EO if I go the natural route but I would prefer it actually smell like the berries. The new lingonberry FO from Brambleberry was my original plan, but when I read the description it became obvious it would not work as a dessert soap. Then I looked for cranberry FOs as a substitute but I am unsure which one would resemble a natural Lingonberry syrup scent the most and which company would be best to order from. I am working with a limited budget at the moment, but I do want this to turn out as well as possible since I want to sell them. I would appreciate some direction from anyone who may have tried this or something similar or recently ordered either the lingonberry from BB or a cranberry from somewhere else. Thank you!

"....She wants the soap to be all natural..."

Before you go too far down the path of designing a soap with M&P glaze and scented with fragrance oils, it might be wise to visit with the shop owner about what she sees as "natural." It means different things to different people. She might be perfectly fine with the M&P and FOs, but neither is very "natural" for many people who have this point of view. I can see her being uncomfortable with mysterious chemicals such as propylene glycol, assuming that's in your M&P, and an undefined "fragrance" in your ingredients list.

I think your soap sounds amazing. I tend to lean towards "make one so the shop owner can see how great it is."
Maybe talk to her and point out that she has 1 all natural soap maker? TBH, I really have no idea how you'd get a natural soap that identifiable as lingonberry.

Latest posts

Back