Lets talk about vanilla discoloration and CPOP....maybe just gel in general?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've noticed something very interesting over the last year or so when I've started CPOPing almost all of my soaps. I moved into a cold house during winter and it was the only option.

I've noticed pretty regularly that when I CPOP, vanilla discoloration is minimized...even as the bar is curing...even after a year. I've noticed a stark difference on partially gelled bars on rate of discoloration.
People have called me crazy...and maybe I am (maybe I need to do a controlled study)...but has anyone else experienced this? Also, if so, does anyone have an explanation?

I rarely CPOP soap. I can't say that I experienced this wither as I have forced gel on almost all my soaps and still got deep discoloration.

My soaps very rarely discolor due to scent. I use a really good VS and don't experience discoloration in general and I force gel all my soaps. Sorry I can't be of help.

I'm the same as Jcandleattic. I force gel and use VS in fragrances I know discolor for the most part. I just insulate well I don't CPOP except individual molds.

I tend to stay away from VS just because I don't feel like the added cost would be worth it for me. To be fair, the discoloration I've avoided using this method is tan at worst, I've not tried with a dark brown discoloring fragrance yet. I tend to avoid the really high vanillin ones anyway. I do really feel like I should due an actual experiment regarding this. I just have to design a good test and find the time.

I tend to stay away from VS just because I don't feel like the added cost would be worth it for me. To be fair, the discoloration I've avoided using this method is tan at worst, I've not tried with a dark brown discoloring fragrance yet. I tend to avoid the really high vanillin ones anyway. I do really feel like I should due an actual experiment regarding this. I just have to design a good test and find the time.
I would have to go look up my actual costs, but it's really not that expensive, (I think something like .02 a bar or something like that) and the results are so worth it. I've kept discoloration away from very very dark discoloring FO's for over a year, and others indefinitely. Since I only do 4 shows a year, and start my production in January for those shows (all in Oct, Nov, & Dec.) I need something this is going to last.

My soaps very rarely discolor due to scent. I use a really good VS and don't experience discoloration in general and I force gel all my soaps. Sorry I can't be of help.
Which VS do you use. I have always stayed away from FO's that have vanilla and recently found one I just love but it discolors badly. I want to get a really food VS. Please help.

Which VS do you use. I have always stayed away from FO's that have vanilla and recently found one I just love but it discolors badly. I want to get a really food VS. Please help.
The one from BCN. I've tried at least 5 other supplier's VS and none have been as good as the one from BCN. Some of the others wouldn't even hold off the discoloration through a full cure. Never had that problem with BCN's formula.

The only difference I have noticed is between my two main recipes. I do use a lot of discoloring fo's without a stabilizer. I have found many times my vegan recipe doesn't turn as dark as the same fo will in my non-vegan recipe. I do force all soaps to gel so that is not the answer.

How long does it last past a year?
Depends on the scent.
I've had pink sugar stay pink with only the outer edges start to brown after 11 months, but after 3 years, still only the edges were brown.
I've had my vanilla silk soaps never brown, and some other scents just turn a little tan to darker tan after about 9 months.

The only difference I have noticed is between my two main recipes. I do use a lot of discoloring fo's without a stabilizer. I have found many times my vegan recipe doesn't turn as dark as the same fo will in my non-vegan recipe. I do force all soaps to gel so that is not the answer.
Hmmm...this could be a factor for me I guess...my base doesn't use any animal fats...but I also wonder how this would work. I would think the soaps with the most unsaturated fats would create a pro-oxidizing enviroment...and I use mostly unsaturated...

The one from BCN. I've tried at least 5 other supplier's VS and none have been as good as the one from BCN. Some of the others wouldn't even hold off the discoloration through a full cure. Never had that problem with BCN's formula.
Sorry, who is BCN?

does vanilla stabilizer accelerate your soap batter in any way. Can I expect true color if I use vanilla stabilizer? How much vanilla stabilizer does one use per pound of oils? Thank you.

does vanilla stabilizer accelerate your soap batter in any way. Can I expect true color if I use vanilla stabilizer? How much vanilla stabilizer does one use per pound of oils? Thank you.

I've not noticed any acceleration. I get true colors with VS in my soaps. I use Bittercreeks as well and it's the best on the market. I too have tried many. How I mix it varies depending on how much vanilla is in the FO. If it's relatively low I'll use half the amount of FO. So, 3 oz FO and 1.5 oz VS. If it's higher Vanilla I'll use 1:1 or 1.5:1. One of my favorite fragrances is Vanilla Champagne from NG and it gets pretty dark. With VS 1:1 it stayed a year and a half before it started discoloring some. I've made it several times for baby/bridal shower favors. I don't mind the discoloration myself.

Is Bittercreek the one that adjusts shipping after you have placed the order? I was just looking at buying some of their VS, but the shipping quote makes it outrageous.

@AliOop, they have adjusted shipping in the past. I think that someone commented not long ago (since I've last ordered) that they are only using USPS now, so I'm not sure that this is still true.

I also use BCN VS and I add it to my oils and stick blend it in well at a 1:1 rate of FO. The one time I mixed it directly with the FO, I had a bright yellow, gloppy mess. With the few FOs I have that discolor dark brown, I end up with a very light tan color. With the FOs that don't discolor that much there is no discoloration, or nothing more than ivory. I mostly use white mica rather than TD, so my soaps aren't bright paper-white to begin with, but I would still call them white.

@dibbles thank you, that is good to know. For a $32 order, I'm looking at $18 shipping via UPS ground. I'm really waffling because I really want a good vanilla stabilizer. Sigh.

Back